Upset at Oregon
EUGENE, Ore. – On the road for the first time in six matches, Stanford men's tennis was upended by Oregon, 4-2, on Friday afternoon. The defeat was the Cardinal's first in conference play, and the team falls to 8-4 overall (5-1 Pac-12).
Stanford led early after a doubles win, with the pairs of Arthur Fery and Alexandre Rotsaert and Axel Geller and Tomas Kopczynski earning dueling 6-4 victories.
Neel Rajesh scored a straight-set singles win on court six, battling through a tiebreaker in the first set, 7-5, before a 6-3 win to close the second set. Geller picked up an opening ser victory on court one, but his match was suspended before completion.
The Ducks picked up three straight wins in singles play to take the lead before Rajesh's victory at No. 6, and closed out the match on court five, 7-5, 6-4.
Stanford closes the regular season at Washington on Sunday, April 18, with a chance to clinch the outright Pac-12 championship. Game time is set for 12 p.m.
No. NR/50 Oregon 4, No. 24/15 Stanford 2
1) No. 42 Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Boyer/Sah (STAN), 6-3
2) Geller/Tomas Kopczynski (STAN) d. Coste/Klov-Nilsson (ORE), 6-4
3) Fery/Rotsaert (STAN) d. Lam/Ryoma Matsushita (ORE), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 89 Axel Geller (STAN) led Emmanuel Coste (ORE), 6-4, 4-3 susp.
2) Joshua Charlton (ORE) d. No. 36 Arthur Fery (STAN), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
3) Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Tristan Boyer (STAN), 6-2, 6-1
4) Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) d. Timothy Sah (STAN), 7-6 (4), 6-3
5) Brandon Lam (ORE) d. William Genesen (STAN), 7-5, 6-4
6) Neel Rajesh (STAN) d. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE), 7-6 (5), 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 4, 6, 5