Beavers Roll Past Pilots In Midweek Win
CORVALLIS, Ore. – Matthew Gretler hit his first home run of the season, Joe Casey drove in three runs and Greg Fuchs posted his first career three-hit game in Oregon State's 11-3 win over Portland Tuesday night at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field.
Gretler homered to left in a three-run fourth inning that saw the Beavers snap a 1-1 tie. Oregon State preceeded to score one in the fifth, two more in the sixth and four in the seventh for the 10-run advantage.
Gretler's home run was the second of his career.
Fuchs singled in the second, fourth and seventh innings for his first career multi-hit effort. His single in the first scored Gavin Logan and tied the game at one.
Casey, meanwhile, drove home two runs in the sixth, then another in the Beavers' four-run seventh. The three RBI marked his sixth multi-RBI effort of the season.
Logan went 2-for-5, singling home runs in both the fourth and fifth innings.
Overall, Oregon State (25-10 overall) recorded 13 hits and seven walks off four Portland (18-18) pitchers.
Nathan Burns, who retired all seven batters he faced, picked up the win to 1-0 on the year. He came on in relief in the fourth and proceeded to strike out three of the seven Pilot batters he faced.
Reid Sebby made his second start of the season against Portland, and did not figure in the decision after limiting the Pilots to two hits and a run in three innings. He struck out two and walked two.
Jacob Dobmeier started for the Pilots and scattered six hits and four runs – three earned – in 3 2/3 innings. He took the loss, dropping to 0-3 this season.
Oregon State embarks on an eight-game road trip that starts with a three-game series at UC Irvine. Friday's series opener is slated for 3 p.m. PT.
Follow The Game
UC Irvine is slated to provide a live stream of all three games of the series; visit osubeavers.com for the live video direct link. Live stats, info on the Beaver Sports Network and TuneIn and more can also be found by visiting osubeavers.com.
- The win marked Oregon State's 14th straight versus the Pilots at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. That streak dates back to the 2007 season.
- Oregon State is 85-28 all-time versus the Pilots in Corvallis.
- Reid Sebby's three innings of work marked a career-long for the righty. In two appearances versus Portland this season, he has seven strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings. He has allowed five hits and two runs with two walks.
- Justin Boyd drove in his first two career runs on a one-out double in the seventh inning.
- Oregon State improved to 7-7 this season when an opponent scores first. That includes a 5-4 mark in games played at home.
- The Beavers are 15-5 in non-conference games this season.
- OSU is 23-3 when out-hitting its opponent, including a 12-0 record at home.
- The Beavers are now 23-0 when leading after eight innings.
- Oregon State has outscored opponents, 28-7, in the seventh inning this season.
- The Beavers improved to 7-5 in the month of April. Six games remain in April.
- The matchup marked Oregon State's last regular season non-conference game at Goss Stadium this season. The Beavers are 7-4 at home versus non-conference opponents, and 14-6 overall.
Follow Us On Social
For more information on the Oregon State baseball team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverBaseball, by Facebook at Facebook.com/OregonStateBaseball or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverBaseball.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).