Round Six With The Gaels
BERKELEY – California returns to the friendly confines of Evans Diamond for the first time since April 3 as it hosts Saint Mary's in a non-conference contest at 6 p.m. (PDT) Wednesday. The game will not be streamed.
The two East Bay neighbors have already clashed five times this season with Cal (18-16) winning four of the five, including a 3-2 victory in Moraga on April 13. The Golden Bears are coming off of a challenging eight-game road swing that concluded with three losses at Oregon State last weekend while Saint Mary's (17-16) swept West Coast Conference foe Santa Clara over the weekend.
- Matchup: Cal (18-16) vs. Saint Mary's (17-16)
- Location: Berkeley, Calif. | Evans Diamond
- First pitch: 6 p.m. PDT
- Live Stats: CalBears.com
- Projected starter: Nick Proctor (2-1, 6.26 ERA)
EVANS DIAMOND ATTENDANCE
In accordance with public health guidelines, Cal Athletics is able to welcome a small number of student-athlete and coach guests to outdoor home events. Alameda County is in the state-designated Orange Tier (as of April 6), which limits facility capacity to a maximum of 33 percent. To meet these requirements, attendance will be limited to student-athlete and coach guest lists only. No tickets for general public use will be sold at athletic venues. Additional details on the state Blueprint for a Safer Economy can be found here.
- Cal is 4-1 against Saint Mary's this season, winning three of four in a split series on March 4-7 and last week's 3-2 affair in Moraga.
- The Bears have outscored SMC 28-16 in the season series, but three of Cal's four wins have been decided by two runs or less.
- Cal's pitching staff owns a 2.54 ERA and .216 average against in the five games against SMC.
- Though Cal is hitting just .240 against SMC this season, four Bears are batting .353 or better in the five games played, including Dylan Beavers (.389), Darren Baker (.364), Quentin Selma (.353) and John Lagattuta (.353).
- Nick Proctor is expected to make his second career start on the mound Wednesday. He threw three scoreless innings in his first career start at Stanford two weeks ago on April 6. In 23.0 innings pitched across 12 appearances, Proctor owns a 1.26 WHIP and .230 average against.
- Cal is 12-4 at Evans Diamond this season and has earned five of those 12 home victories in walk-off fashion.
- Nathan Manning leads the Pac-12 and ranks seventh nationally with a .429 batting average. He has eight multi-hit games in 18 starts.
- Dylan Beavers snapped out of a recent cold spell with four hits at Oregon State last weekend, including his Pac-12-leading 10th home run.
- Darren Baker is doing it all for Cal in his senior season. The leadoff man is batting .312 with 28 runs scored, 15 stolen bases and a .400 on-base percentage while excelling defensively with a .988 fielding percentage and Pac-12-leading 112 assists.
- Cal is second in the Pac-12 with 3.28 walks allowed per nine innings. The Bears have issued three walks or less in 23 of 34 games.