Top-20 Territorial Cup Matchup on the Sand on Thursday
TEMPE, Ariz. – Part two of the Territorial Cup series on the sand will take place this Thursday between No. 20 Sun Devil Beach Volleyball and the No. 9 Arizona Wildcats at Xavier College Prep in Phoenix.
Sun Devil Outlook
No. 20 Arizona State (9-9, 4-6 Pac-12)
- The Sand Devils are peaking at the right time. They have won three duals in a row and five of the last six. ASU has earned four 5-0 sweeps this season, two of which were earned over the weekend.
- Thursday will be Senior Day for the Sun Devils. There will be seven Sand Devils moving on after this season: Emily Anderson, Bailey Anderson, Katelyn Carballo, Sierra Ellett, Cierra Flood, Samantha Plaster, and Aleksandra Sochacka.
- Three of those seniors are in the top 10 for career individual wins. Carballo is in first with 67, Plaster is in fourth with 56 and Flood is in seventh with 49. Flood is one win away from joining the 50 wins club, something only six Sun Devils have achieved.
- ASU and Arizona are facing each other for the second time this season. The first was back on March 28 in Tucson, with the Wildcats winning 4-1. Carballo and Lexi Sweeney won on the top court for Arizona State's lone point.
No. 9 Arizona (20-4, 4-2 Pac-12)
- The Wildcats have won four duals in a row, including a win over No. 15 Hawaii. Arizona also has ranked wins over No. 11 Cal, No. 7 Stanford and No. 8 Pepperdine this season.
- The pair of Natalie Anselmo and Carly Lowry have been the most successful duo for Arizona. They have a 13-4 record, playing every dual at the No. 3 spot.
How to Follow
The dual will be held at Xavier College Prep at 2 p.m. MST but will not be open to the public. Live stats will be available.