Utah Tennis Takes 6-1 Senior Day Win Over Weber State
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah men's tennis team (18-10 overall, 2-5 Pac-12) capped off the regular season with a 6-1 win over the Weber State Wildcats on senior day at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center. The Utes won both doubles courts against the shorthanded Wildcats and then took three of four singles matches to end the day.
Utah needed just one court to win the point in doubles after Weber State could fill just two duos on the day. The Utes clinched the point after Geronimo Busleiman and Luis Flores rolled to a 6-2 win. Utah then completed the doubles sweep when Francisco Bastias and Slava Shainyan pulled away in the final two games for the 7-5 win.
With the doubles point, the Utes then moved to a 3-0 lead out of the gates because of just four available Wildcats able to play. Utah started the match strong after all four Utes took their first sets in tight matches across the board.
Utah received the match-clinching point on court three from Bastias after he cruised to a 6-1 second set victory. Mathias Gavelin found himself in another tight set much like his first went. Gavelin built a slight lead early on in the set, but despite Weber State's Barr cutting the lead to just 5-4, Gavelin ended the match for another 6-4 victory on court four and Utah's fifth point of the match.
Courts one and two battled in competitive matches from the get-go. Busleiman took on the Wildcats' Van Wyk and played from behind in his second set. Busleiman eventually squared the set at 6-all and went to a tiebreaker. He pushed out in front early and walked away with a 7-3 victory to take the match 6-4, 7-6 (3).
Rounding out the day was Shainyan on court two where he pulled out his first set win in a tiebreaker before falling 6-4 in the second set. In the super tiebreaker for the third set, Shainyan jumped out to a 5-1 lead, but the lead was cut and Shainyan ultimately fell behind late and could not recover, dropping the tiebreak 10-7 and end the match 6-1 still in favor of the Utes.
Utah tennis will open action at the Pac-12 Championship this Saturday against second-seeded Arizona. The Utes and Wildcats will play at 7 p.m. MT at the Barnes Center in San Diego, Calif.
Utah 6, Weber State 1
1. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) def. Kris Van Wyk (WSU-M) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Sebastian Buxman (WSU-M) def. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) def. Bo-Han Li (WSU-M) 7-5, 6-1
4. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Brendan Barr (WSU-M) 6-4, 6-4
5. Bruno Krenn (UTAH) def. No player (WSU-M), by default
6. Luis Flores (UTAH) def. No player (WSU-M), by default
1. Francisco Bastias/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Bo-Han Li/Sebastian Buxman (WSU-M) 7-5
2. Geronimo Busleiman/Luis Flores (UTAH) def. Kris Van Wyk/Brendan Barr (WSU-M) 6-2
3. Franco Capalbo/Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. No player/No player (WSU-M), by default