Bears Welcome Cougars This Weekend
BERKELEY – California looks to snap a four-game skid as it hosts Pac-12 foe Washington State at Evans Diamond this weekend. All three games will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network with Ben Ross (PxP) and Dean Stotz (analyst) on the call. The action starts at 7 p.m. (PDT) Friday.
The Golden Bears (18-17, 5-7 Pac-12) suffered a sweep at Oregon State last weekend and most recently fell to East Bay neighbor Saint Mary's Wednesday at home. Cal has succeeded against the visiting Cougars (17-14, 5-10) though, winning four consecutive series overall and seven straight home games in the head-to-head series.
- Matchup: Cal (18-17, 5-7 Pac-12) vs. Washington State (17-14, 5-10 Pac-12)
- Location: Evans Diamond | Berkeley, Calif.
- Friday: 7 p.m. PDT | Pac-12 Network | Live Stats
- Saturday: 4 p.m. PDT | Pac-12 Network | Live Stats
- Sunday: 6 p.m. PDT | Live Stats
- Projected rotation: Friday: RHP Grant Holman | Saturday: RHP Sean Sullivan | Sunday: Paulshawn Pasqualotto
EVANS DIAMOND ATTENDANCE
In accordance with public health guidelines, Cal Athletics is able to welcome a small number of student-athlete and coach guests to outdoor home events. Alameda County is in the state-designated Orange Tier (as of April 6), which limits facility capacity to a maximum of 33 percent. To meet these requirements, attendance will be limited to student-athlete and coach guest lists only. No tickets for general public use will be sold at athletic venues. Additional details on the state Blueprint for a Safer Economy can be found here.
- Cal is 58-40-1 all-time against Washington State, including a 5-1 mark under Mike Neu since 2018.
- The Bears have won seven straight against WSU at home, including two straight series sweeps in 2017 and 2019.
- Cal is 12-5 at Evans Diamond with five walk-off wins this season.
- Golden Bear pitchers are limiting opposing batters to a .225 average against and own a collective 3.02 ERA and 135-to-54 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 17 home games this season. Saturday starting pitcher has been superb at home with a .169 average against and 19 strikeouts in 21.2 innings thrown across four starts.
- Darren Baker is riding a 40-game reached-base streak to dates back to the 2020 season. He's batting a career-high .322 and leads the team in stolen bases (15) and runs scored (28). The leadoff man is a .444 career hitter (12-for-27) in six games played against WSU.
- Dylan Beavers is tied for the Pac-12 lead with 10 home runs. After tallying just four hits in a nine-game span from March 30-April 13, Beavers has three multi-hit performances in his past four games.
- Despite an uncharacteristic seven walks issued Wednesday against Saint Mary's, Cal is fourth in the Pac-12 with 3.39 walks allowed per nine innings. The Bears have issued three walks or less in 23 of 35 games.
- Nathan Manning continues to swing one of the nation's hottest bats, ranking second in the Pac-12 and 16th nationally with a .413 batting average. In 19 games started, Manning has eight multi-hit performances.