Huskies Fall To Toreros In Regular Season Finale
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – In its regular season finale, Washington's five match winning streak was snapped today by a tough San Diego squad that earned its ninth win in a row. The Huskies (14-7) were looking for one more big win en route to the Pac-12 Championships but the Toreros (14-3) defended home court at the Hogan Center. The Dawgs will look to strengthen their NCAA tourney cause with some wins at Pac-12s starting tomorrow with Arizona.
After dropping a 2-1 doubles point, the Huskies couldn't extend things in singles through the middle of the order. Freshman Tara Chilton lost in straight sets at No. 5 to Victoria Kalaitzis. Sedona Gallagher had a 6-4, 6-2 loss at No. 3 to Jordyn McBride and then Nika Zupancic dropped her first match since returning to the squad, 6-3, 6-2, to Abigail Desiatnikov.
Vanessa Wong was in a battle at No. 1 with 57th-ranked Solymar Colling, leading 2-1 in the third set. Sarah-Maude Fortin won her first set, 6-4, at No. 2 singles and was 4-5 down in the second when the match ended, and Zoey Weil was down a set after losing a tiebreak in set one at No. 6.
The doubles point came down to the No. 2 match, where Zupancic and Gallagher trailed 0-5 but then fought back with four games in a row, but they couldn't complete the comeback as McBride/Desiatnikov responded with the 10th game to win, 6-4. San Diego had a 6-2 win over Chilton and Weil at No. 3, and then Wong and Fortin earned a 6-4 win at the No. 1 spot over San Diego's Colling/Goldsmith.
The Huskies will stay in San Diego and jump right into the Pac-12 tournament tomorrow morning. Seeded seventh, the Huskies will play 10-seed Arizona in the first round on Friday at 10 a.m. at the Barnes Tennis Center.
Washington Women's Tennis
April 22, 2021
Hogan Center | San Diego, Calif.
#44/42 Washington – 0
San Diego – 4
1. (#43) Vanessa Wong (UW) vs. (#57) Solymar Colling (USD) – 6-2, 3-6, 2-1, DNF
2. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) vs. Elizabeth Goldsmith (USD) – 6-4, 4-5, DNF
3. Jordyn McBride (USD) def. Sedona Gallagher (UW) – 6-4, 6-2
4. Abigail Desiatnikov (USD) def. Nika Zupancic (UW) – 6-3, 6-2
5. Victoria Kalaitzis (USD) def. Tara Chilton (UW) – 6-1, 6-1
6. Zoey Weil (UW) vs. Kati Kukaras (USD) – 6-7, 1-2, DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4
1. Wong/Fortin (UW) def. Colling/Goldsmith (USD) – 6-4
2. McBride/Desiatnikov (USD) def. Zupancic/Gallagher (UW) – 6-4
3. Kukaras/Andryukhov (USD) def. Chilton/Weil (UW) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2