No. 20 Sand Devils Fall 4-1 on Senior Day
PHOENIX – Despite a win on court three, No. 20 Sun Devil Beach Volleyball fell in the second Territorial Cup dual against No. 9 Arizona, 4-1, at Xavier College Preparatory on Thursday afternoon.
Arizona State falls to 9-10 (4-7 Pac-12) after this loss. Arizona (21-4, 5-2 Pac-12) earns the full Territorial Cup point in the series after winning the dual in Tucson earlier this season as well. This was also the last regular season dual for ASU before the Pac-12 Championships next weekend.
The lone point for the Sand Devils came on court three. Senior Cierra Flood and sophomore Sarah Waters dropped the first set but came storming back to take the second and third sets and win the match. It was the 50th career win for Flood, making her the seventh Sand Devil to reach that mark. This is the third win for this pair over a duo from a ranked team this season.
Results (Order of Finish: 4, 2, 5*, 3, 1)
1) Alex Parkhurst/Alana Rennie (ARIZ) def. Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 25-23, 14-21, 8-15
2) Sarah Blacker/Brooke Burling (ARIZ) def. Emily Anderson/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) 21-18, 21-14
3) Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Natalie Anselmo/Carly Lowry (ARIZ) 18-21, 21-13, 15-12
4) Mandy Noble/Dana Parker (ARIZ) def. Lila Bordis/Samantha Plaster (ASU) 21-17, 21-12
5) Olivia Hallaran/Hope Shannon (ARIZ) def. Taryn Ames/Lauren Weintraub (ASU) 21-16, 21-16
The Sun Devils will play in the Pac-12 Championships starting on April 29 in Los Angeles. The brackets have not yet been released.