Huskies Down Arizona In Pac-12 Opener
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The Husky women's tennis team had a successful opener at the Pac-12 Championships today, handling No. 10 seed Arizona in a 4-1 dual. The Dawgs got a lift from a rally to win the doubles point and then controlled things in singles play to move into the quarterfinals.
Tomorrow the Huskies will face No. 2-seeded Stanford at the Barnes Tennis Center in a match scheduled for 12 noon.
Doubles came down to the No. 3 match, where Zoey Weil and Tara Chilton faced Arizona's Abby Amos and Talya Zandberg. The Huskies won the first three games but then dropped four straight to trail. But Weil and Chilton rallied by winning the next three games to clinch the point, 6-4. Nika Zupancic and Sedona Gallagher were 6-3 winners in the No. 2 match.
Zupancic bounced back from her first singles loss of the season yesterday with a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4 over Amos to put UW on top, 2-1. 43rd-ranked Vanessa Wong then completed a 7-5, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles over 118th-ranked Jelena Lukic.
Sedona Gallagher had the clincher, a 6-2, 7-5 win over Zandberg at third singles. With the match clinched, the second and fifth singles matches were halted, with Sarah-Maude Fortin up a set and 2-0 in the second set, and Chilton in a third set at 1-2.
Washington Women's Tennis
April 23, 2021
Barnes Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
Pac-12 Championships | First Round
#44/42 Washington – 4
Arizona – 1
1. (#43) Vanessa Wong (UW) def. (#118) Jelena Lukic (Ariz) – 7-5, 6-2
2. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) vs. Kayla Wilkins (Ariz) – 7-6, 2-0, DNF
3. Sedona Gallagher (UW) def. Talya Zandberg (Ariz) – 6-2, 7-5
4. Nika Zupancic (UW) def. Abby Amos (Ariz) – 6-2, 6-1
5. Tara Chilton (UW) vs. Gitte Heynemans (Ariz) – 6-4, 0-6, 1-2, DNF
6. Khim Iglupas (Ariz) def. Zoey Weil (UW) – 6-4, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 1, 3
1. Lukic/Iglupas (Ariz) def. Wong/Fortin (UW) – 6-2
2. Zupancic/Gallagher (UW) def. Heynemans/Wilkins (Ariz) – 6-3
3. Chilton/Weil (UW) def. Amos/Zandberg (Ariz) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3