7-Run 7th Paces Oregon State To Midweek Sweep
LOS ANGELES – Oregon State's seven-run seventh inning sent the Beavers to an 8-5 win over Loyola Marymount Wednesday night at Page Stadium. The win gave Oregon State a sweep of the two-game midweek series.
The Beavers (28-12 overall) sent 11 batters to the plate in the seven-run frame. OSU scored three of its runs on LMU errors, including the first when a Troy Claunch single went between the left fielder's legs, enabling Justin Boyd to score from first.
Claunch, then at second, scored when Jake Dukart singled to left, tying the game.
OSU went ahead when Wade Meckler's sacrifice bunt went for an overthrow at third, allowing two Beavers to score. Garret Forrester then singled to make it a 6-3 game before he himself scored on a two-run double by Joe Casey.
The Beavers finished the game with eight hits, and were also able to draw five walks.
Both Meckler and Casey doubled twice to lead the Beavers. Meckler drove home a run in the third, then doubled again in the eighth. Casey doubled in the seventh did so again in the ninth.
Kyle Keyes picked up the win after a scoreless sixth inning. The fourth pitcher of the game for the Beavers, he gave up a two-out single but picked the runner off first to end the frame. The win marked the first of his collegiate career.
Jake Mulholland, who came on and recorded the last four outs, earned his 10th save of the season and 40th of his career. That ties him with Oregon's Jimmie Sherfy for the third-most in Pac-12 Conference history.
Will Grimm, who gave up four unearned runs during the seventh, was charged with the loss to drop to 1-1 on the year.
LMU (14-25) scored three consecutive runs – two in the third and one in the fifth – to take a 3-1 lead. The Lions then scored two unearned runs in the eighth to pull within three after the Beavers went up 8-3.
Oregon State visits UCLA for a three-game Pac-12 Conference series that starts Friday night at 7 p.m. PT.
Follow The Game
The series with the Bruins will air on the Pac-12 Network, Pac-12.com and the Pac-12 Now app for smartphones and tables; visit osubeavers.com for the live video direct link. Live stats, info on the Beaver Sports Network and TuneIn and more can also be found by visiting osubeavers.com.
- AJ Lattery made his first career start at OSU and worked two scoreless innings, striking out two. He lowered his season ERA to 1.42 in 6 1/3 innings.
- Kyle Keyes made his first appearance since March 23 versus Santa Clara.
- Left-handed pitcher Justin Thorsteinson made his collegiate debut, coming on in relief in the eighth.
- Wade Meckler extended his hit streak to five games and finished the two-game midweek series at LMU with four hits, three of which went for doubles.
- Andy Armstrong singled in the ninth inning to extend his hit streak to nine games. That ties a season long for the senior.
- Joe Casey now has 11 multi-hit efforts this season. Eight of those 11 have been two-hit days.
- Oregon State has now scored 37 runs in the seventh inning this season. That's second most of any inning, just shy of 42 in the sixth, and ahead of 36 in the fifth.
Follow Us On Social
For more information on the Oregon State baseball team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverBaseball, by Facebook at Facebook.com/OregonStateBaseball or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverBaseball.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).