Fives Go Undefeated, Sand Devils' Run at Pac-12s Ends
LOS ANGELES – Sun Devil Beach Volleyball's run at the 2021 Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championships came to an end following a loss to No. 9 Stanford on Friday after beating Washington earlier in the day to stay alive.
Arizona State (10-12) battled all day, winning at least one match in both duals. The pair of Taryn Ames and Lauren Weintraub went undefeated today after winning in each dual at the No. 5 spot.
Game One:  Arizona State 3,  Washington 2
The Sun Devils jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the dual over the Huskies (5-13) after the three and four pairs won. The threes duo of Cierra Flood and Sarah Waters went to three sets, coming up clutch in the third. After UW's one and two pairs won to tie the dual, it all came down to the No. 4 pair of Samantha Plaster and Lila Bordis. They lost the first set, but came back to win the second set. In the third frame, they dominated, scoring 12 points in a row to eventually win 15-3 and clinch the win.
Results (Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1, 2, 4*)
1) Loreen/McPherson (UW) def. Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-18, 21-19
2) Niece/Robinson (UW) def. Emily Anderson/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) 21-19, 21-15
3) Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Dahl/Petersen (UW) 21-16, 18-21, 15-10
4) Lila Bordis/Samantha Plaster (ASU) def. Shook/Yerex (UW) 17-21, 21-14, 15-3
5) Taryn Ames/Lauren Weintraub (ASU) def. Schilling/Weber (UW) 22-20, 21-7
Game Two:  Stanford 3,  Arizona State 1
Arizona State came up short against Stanford (22-10) to end the run in the Pac-12 Championships. Ames and Weintraub were the lone pair to pick up a win in the second dual of the day.
Results (Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1, 4*)
1) Hodel/Villapando (STAN) def. Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-17, 21-14
2) Ekstrom/Harvey (STAN) vs. Emily Anderson/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) 24-22, 15-15 DNF
3) Kriz/Reilly (STAN) def. Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-17, 21-14
4) Sharp/Smith (STAN) def. Lila Bordis/Samantha Plaster (ASU) 21-18, 21-18
5) Taryn Ames/Lauren Weintraub (ASU) def. Dailey/McKinney (STAN) 21-12, 23-21