Water Polo Plays For 3rd on Sunday After Loss to USC
TEMPE, ARIZ.-- In round two of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Conference Championship Tournament, Sun Devil water polo was defeated by #1 USC, 16-8, in the fifth matchup against the Trojans this season. ASU will be back at Mona Plummer tomorrow to play for third place against #2 seed UCLA at 11:30 AM MST.
Familiar foe, USC was able to score first to take a 4-0 lead, and Arizona State was unable to get back into the game despite converting on three of seven power plays.
Chelsea Karimazondo recorded eight saves at goalie, and Itzahiana Baca entered the game with 5:30 remaining in the fourth period.
UP NEXT: Arizona State will play for third place on Sunday against #2 seed UCLA at 11:30 AM MST. The game is viewable via MPSF TV, and walk up tickets will be available for $15, 15 minutes prior to the start of the game.
ASU 8, USC 16
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- USC struck first with four goals to lead 4-0.
- Luca Petovary got ASU on the board with 1:40 remaining in the first.
- USC took a 5-1 lead into the second period
- Amira Van Buren and Alba Olive Marti each recorded a goal within minutes of each other in the second period to pull the Sun Devils within four.
- Bente Rogge scored with 1:29 remaining in the second period, but USC's four goals in the second period extended their lead.
- USC led 9-4 at the half.
- Bori Kekesi got on the board with 4:42 remaining in the third period to make it a 5-10 game.
- USC led 10-6 headed into the final frame.
- Emma Fraser and Abby Begg were the two Sun Devil scorers in the fourth quarter.
- The Trojans scored six goals in the fourth quarter to secure the win.