No. 1 UCLA Falls to No. 5 LMU, 3-2
GULF SHORES, Ala. -- No. 1 UCLA (29-4) dropped down to the contender's bracket on Friday afternoon after falling 3-2 to No. 5 LMU (31-6) in the second round of the 2021 NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship at Gulf Place. With the loss, the Bruins fell to 14-3 all-time against the Lions. The Lions snapped the Bruins' nine-match winning streak at the NCAA Championship, which dates back to the 2018 season when UCLA lost this same match but rallied to win the next four and the program's first-ever NCAA title.
The Lions took a 1-0 lead after Jacinda Ramirez and Darby Dunn won in straight sets on court four 21-13, 21-11 over UCLA's Megan Muret and Jacqueline Quade.
UCLA quickly tied it up at 1-1 after court one's Savvy Simo and Lexy Denaburg defeated LMU's Iya Lindahl and Megan Rice 21-13, 21-12.
The Bruins held a brief lead as Abby Van Winkle and Lindsey Sparks posted a 21-17, 21-16 win on court three over the Lions' Savannah Slattery and Jessie Prichard.
But seconds later, LMU tied it at 2-2 as Reka Orsi Toth and Selina Marolf defeated UCLA's Devon Newberry and Lea Monkhouse 21-18, 21-19 on court two.
It all came down to court five where the Bruins' Rileigh Powers and Jaden Whitmarsh took the first set 21-15. But LMU's Emma Doud and Madi Firnett forced a third winning 21-19 in the second. LMU took an early lead in the third and deciding set and never looked back, winning 15-10.
The Bruins will take on No. 7 Cal Poly (24-10) in the consolation bracket on Saturday, May 8 at 12:30 p.m. PDT on ESPN2. Loser goes home.
No. 5 LMU def. No. 1 UCLA, 3-2
Gulf Place • Gulf Shores, Ala.
2021 NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship
Friday, May 7, 2021
RECORDS: UCLA (29-4), LMU (31-6)
1. Savvy Simo/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA) def. Iya Lindahl/Megan Rice (LMU); 21-13, 21-12
2. Reka Orsi Toth/Selina Marolf (LMU) def. Lea Monkhouse/Devon Newberry (UCLA); 21-18, 21-19
3. Abby Van Winkle/Lindsey Sparks (UCLA) def. Savannah Slattery/Jessie Prichard (LMU); 21-17, 21-16
4. Jacinda Ramirez/Darby Dunn (LMU) def. Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA); 21-13, 21-11
5. Emma Doud/Madi Firnett (LMU) def. Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA); 15-21, 21-19, 15-10
Order of finish: 4, 1, 3, 2, 5*