USC Women's Tennis Defeats Oklahoma in First Round Match of NCAA Tournament
GAINESVILLE, Fla.--In a thrilling First Round of the NCAA Women's Tennis Tournament, No. 35 USC upset No. 22 Oklahoma 4-3 today (May 6) in Gainesville, Fla. to advance to the next round. The Women of Troy are now 12-10 on the season.
The Sooners came out swinging and nabbed the first doubles win of the morning as No. 23 C. Corley/ I. Corley beat the USC pair of Kulikov/Cayetano 6-2 on court one. The Trojan tandem of Ewing/McKee responded with a win of their own on court two by defeating Oklahoma's Capurro/Romero 6-2. The Sooners claimed the doubles point as Guzman/Motosono beat USC's Dvorak/Willson with a tight score of 7-6 (3) on court three.
The Trojans entered singles at a 0-1 deficit. The Sooners continued to roll with their momentum gained in singles as No. 63 Dana Guzman claimed another point for Oklahoma with her 7-6, 6-3 win over USC sophomore No. 98 Eryn Cayetano from court two. Redshirt senior Clare McKee notched the first point on the board for the Women of Troy by defeating Oklahoma's Marcelina Podlinska 7-5, 6-1 from court six. Oklahoma led the match 2-1.
The Sooners increased their lead to 3-1 as Martina Capurro beat USC redshirt senior Summer Dvorak 6-3, 7-6 (1) on court four. The Trojans responded with a win from court one as junior No. 42 Salma Ewing beat Oklahoma's No. 64 Carmen Corley 6-3, 7-6 (5).
USC junior Danielle Willson tied up the match at 3-3 with her 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 over Sooner No. 83 Ivana Corley from court three.
The entire match rested on the result from court five. USC redshirt senior Constance Branstine won her most important match of the season by defeating Oklahoma's Kianah Motosono 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 to clinch the match for the Women of Troy 4-3.
The Women of Troy will now face No. 11 seed Florida tomorrow (May 8) at 1 p.m. in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament. The winner will advance to the Round of 16 which will be held at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla.
USC 4, Oklahoma 3
May 7, 2021 – Ring Tennis Complex | Gainesville, Fla.
- #23 C. Corley/I. Corley (OU) def Cayetano/Kulikov (USC) – 6-2
- Ewing/McKee (USC) def. Capurro/Romero (OU) – 6-2
- Guzman/Motosono (OU) def. Dvorak/Willson (USC) – 7-6 (3)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*
Oklahoma wins the doubles point
- #42 Salma Ewing (USC) def. #64 Carmen Corley (OU) – 6-3, 7-6 (5)
- #63 Dana Guzman (OU) def. #98 Eryn Cayetano (USC) – 7-6, 6-3
- Danielle Willson (USC) def. #83 Ivana Corley (OU) – 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Martina Capurro (OU) def. Summer Dvorak (USC) – 6-3, 7-6 (1)
- Constance Branstine (USC) def. Kianah Motosono (OU) – 4-6, 6-4, 6-3*
- Clare McKee (USC) def. Marcelina Podlinska (OU) – 7-5, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 4, 1, 3, 5*