Arizona Falls in Tight Match Against No. 3 Tennessee
ORLANDO, Fl. - Arizona's magical season came to an end as No. 3 Tennessee knocked off Arizona in the Round of 16 by a score of 4-3.
Tennessee took the early lead by taking the doubles point against the Wildcats.
Carlos Hassey provided the first spark with a straight set win on court six. No. 90 Jonas Ziverts upset No. 8 Johannus Monday to tie the match before Alejandro Reguant added another win to his record totals. After pushing two matches to third sets, the Volunteers finally grabbed the win on the remaining courts.
The Wildcats earned three ranked singles wins on the day, putting them over 16 on the season. Arizona finished with a winning record against ranked teams at 7-6 while also having numerous records broken this season. Important feats such as beating conference rivals UCLA and USC for the first time in many years as well as reaching the first Sweet Sixteen in program history mark an incredible season for the Wildcats.
No. 45 Gustaf Strom is set to compete in the NCAA Singles Championship starting on Sunday, May 23rd.
1. No. 4 Walton/Harper def. Hassey/Reguant 6-2
2. Monday/Prata def. Ziverts/Hoeyeraal 6-3
3. Lagaev/Malbasic vs. Wallner/Hussey 2-5 unf.
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. No. 10 Adam Walton def. No. 45 Gustaf Strom 7-5, 1-6, 6-2
2. No. 90 Jonas Ziverts def. No. 8 Johannus Monday 7-5, 6-3
3. No. 41 Martim Prata def. Filip Malbasic 6-0, 6-3
4. Luca Wiedenmann def. Herman Hoeyeraal 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
5. Alejandro Reguant def. No. 92 Giles Hussey 6-4, 6-1
6. Carlos Hassey def. No. 115 Pat Harper 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 6, 3, 2, 5, 4, 1