Wildcats Use Late Surge to Cruise Past Beavers, 12-4
CORVALLIS, Ore. — Eight runs down the home stretch powered the Arizona Wildcats (37-13, 20-8) to a 12-4 road win over the Oregon State Beavers (32-19, 14-11) on Friday night at Goss Stadium.
Arizona broke a 4-4 tie in the top of the seventh and never looked back. With the bases loaded and two outs, designated hitter Jacob Berry snuck a two-run single through the left side to put the Wildcats out in front.
The Cats piled on six more runs in the top of the eighth to pull away with the win. Tyler Casagrande hit his first career home run to lead off the frame, Berry checked in with a two-run home run, and Branden Boissiere smacked a bases-clearing three-run double.
Berry's eighth-inning homer was his 14th of the year and his eighth in Pac-12 play, pulling him even with Daniel Susac and Shelley Duncan (1999) for the most home runs by an Arizona freshman in conference games.
Starting pitcher Chase Silseth (8-0) earned the win after working 6.0 quality innings for the Wildcats. He allowed four runs on six hits while striking out six.
The Wildcats bullpen was lights out, holding the Beavers off the scoreboard and striking out six across the final three frames. TJ Nichols and Riley Cooper both notched multiple strikeouts and combined to allow just one hit.
- DH Jacob Berry: 2-for-5, R, HR, 4 RBI
- 1B Branden Boissiere: 1-for-3, R, 2B, 4 RBI, BB
- LF Mac Bingham: 1-for-2, 2 R, 2 RBI, 3 BB
- RF Tyler Casagrande: 1-for-2, R, HR, RBI
- CF Donta Williams: 1-for-3, 2 R, HR, RBI, 2 BB
- LHP Randy Abshier: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R
- RHP TJ Nichols: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 K
- LHP Riley Cooper: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 K
- RHP Dawson Netz: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K
Number of the Day
- Friday's win put the Wildcats at 20-8 in Pac-12 play, marking just the third time in program history that Arizona has won 20+ games in conference play.
Photo of the Day
Tweet of the Day
— Jared Carrabis (@Jared_Carrabis) May 22, 2021
Arizona goes for the series victory on Saturday night at 6:00 p.m. MST. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.