Utes Record Second-Highest Department GPA In Spring 2021
Utah's student-athletes continue to record some of the all-time best academic numbers in the department's history. This spring, the Utes posted a 3.427 semester grade point average, which is the second-highest all-time.
The last three departmental semester GPAs, which include a record-setting 3.573 in Spring 2020 and 3.390 in Fall 2020, rank as the three highest recorded. Utah Athletics has now achieved 30 consecutive semesters with departmental GPAs of 3.00 or higher.
For the third consecutive semester and the third time overall, every sport program earned a team semester GPA over 3.00. Women's skiing earned the highest team semester GPA of all sports with a 3.762. The men's side was also led by the ski team, which earned a 3.669. The Utah Ski Team won its 14th national championship in March.
"Our student-athletes have remained committed, resilient and determined to perform their very best in the classroom throughout these extraordinary times," said Mark Harlan, Director of Athletics. "They have adapted to change and have done a remarkable job to produce the three best semester GPAs in the history of Utah Athletics. I'm proud of their hard work and very appreciative of the tremendous support of our academic staff and our coaches, as well as our campus partners."
"The commitment that our student-athletes, coaches, and academic services team has made to ensure that we do not miss a beat during the COVID-19 pandemic has been truly incredible," said Chris Uchacz, Senior Associate Athletics Director for Academic Services. "I could not be more impressed by how our student-athletes continue to excel in the face of adversity while showing us all how truly resilient they can be. Go Utes!"
Other Spring 2021 Highlights
- 72 student-athletes earned a perfect 4.00 GPA
- 44% were named to the Dean's List, highest in school history
- 83% made the Athletic Director's Honor Roll (3.00+ GPA), second-highest over the last 11 years
- 80% of all spring semester grades fell within the A/B range
Program Specific Highlights
- Women's basketball, men's skiing and women's soccer earned the highest team semester GPA in the history of their programs.
- Women's gymnastics has earned a team semester GPA of 3.00 or higher 52 consecutive semesters.
- Women's cross country, men's skiing and women's volleyball have earned a team semester GPA of 3.00 or higher for 26 straight semesters.