Skiing’s Krautgasser and Lacrosse’s Johns Earn Pac-12 Postgraduate Scholarship Award
SAN FRANCISCO – University of Utah student-athletes Sabine Krautgasser (skiing) and Zack Johns (lacrosse) have been named the Utes' recipients of the Pac-12 Postgraduate Scholarship award.
Awarded annually to two student-athletes from each Pac-12 school since 1999, the postgraduate scholarships are worth $9,000 each. The program was created to both honor and financially assist some of the Conference's most outstanding athletes and scholars as they continue their education and prepare for careers in their chosen industries. These worthy student-athletes maintained a 3.0 grade-point-average and demonstrated a commitment to education, campus and community involvement, and leadership.
Krautgasser is set to pursue her master's degree at Utah in a coordinated program of nutrition and dietetics, while Johns will pursue a master of science in finance at the U.
Krautgasser, a native of San Candido, Italy, was part of two NCAA Championships qualifying teams in her career at Utah, in 2017 and '18. She notched two top-10 finishes and four career top-15 finishes. Prior to joining the Utes, Krautgasser was a member of the Italian National Team in 2015-16, and finished 10th in the slalom at the 2016 Italy National Championships. She earned her bachelor's degree from Utah in kinesiology.
Johns, who hails from Henderson, Nev., has played four seasons for the Utes' lacrosse team as a goalkeeper. In 2021 he played in seven games, starting five in goal and compiling a team-best .529 save percentage. Johns began his career in 2018 with Utah's club program and played in 10 games that season with 22 saves. He earned his bachelor's degree from Utah in quantitative analysis of markets & organizations.
To be eligible for the annual scholarship, student-athletes must have:
- An overall undergraduate minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.00 (based on a 4.00 scale);
- Completed his/her final season of intercollegiate athletics eligibility in all sports or be in his/her final year of undergraduate study, having exhausted athletics eligibility in all sports (unless an exception is made to defer the award, because eligibility remains);
- Been accepted to or already be enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate or professional program at an accredited institution, or in a postgraduate program for which an undergraduate degree is required for admission;
- Performed with distinction as a member of a varsity team; and
- Exemplified behavior, both in competition and beyond, in a manner that has brought credit to the student-athlete, the institution, and intercollegiate athletics.
Johns has one season of eligibility remaining to play for the Utes' lacrosse program in 2022.