Aztecs Host Point Loma for Friendly Friday
Point Loma at San Diego State | Friendly
Friday, Aug. 20 | 7 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
- SDSU is receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches preseason poll. Three Pac-12 teams are ranked (No. 8 Stanford, No. 9 Washington and No. 16 Oregon State).
- The Aztecs return eight starters from a season ago, including all three of their all-Pac-12 honorees (Andre Ochoa, Blake Bowen and Iñigo Villaldea).
- SDSU brings back 82 percent of their scoring and 87 percent of their points from last year.
- SDSU has eight newcomers (six freshmen and two transfers). The Aztecs added three defenders, two midfielders, two forwards and one goalkeeper. Four of the incoming Aztecs are international recruits, hailing from Australia, Denmark, Netherlands and Slovenia. Rik Regeling (Netherlands) was listed by Top Drawer Soccer as one of their ten "International Players to Watch."
- The Aztecs have 16 underclassmen and just four seniors.
- After playing a Pac-12 exclusive schedule last year, SDSU will play seven non-conference matches this season, six of which will be against schools from the Big West or WCC.
- The Aztecs will play just one friendly before beginning the regular season next Thursday (Aug. 26) when they host CSUN.
- SDSU only has two matches outside of California (at Washington and Oregon State).
Point Loma is receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches DII Preseason poll… They went 5-0-0 in the shortened 2020 season, outscoring their opponents 9-2… The Sea Lions return nine starters and 20 letterwinners from their 2020 squad… They are coached by Philip Wolf who is 193-88-35 in his career and 73-59-17 at Point Loma… The Aztecs are 13-1-1 all-time against Point Loma with their last regular season meeting occurring in 2014… SDSU beat the Sea Lions 1-0 in a preseason friendly in 2018.
Attendees at Aztec men's and women's soccer matches at the SDSU Sports Deck will be expected to adhere to the following guidelines.
- Facial Coverings – Facial coverings are strongly recommended for all fans but not required for vaccinated individuals. Unvaccinated individuals may remove facial coverings if a distance of six feet from others can be maintained.
- Open Seating – Seats will not be assigned at the SDSU Sports Deck. Fans may sit where they'd like to enjoy the match.
- Hand Sanitization Stations – A hand sanitizing station will be set up at the entrance of the SDSU Sports Deck.
- Interaction with Coaches & Student-Athletes – There will be no fan interaction with coaches or student-athletes at this time. This includes family members and friends of individuals participating in competition. Teams will depart to the locker room post-game without interacting with event attendees. As a result, teams will not hold autograph sessions this season.
- Free admission – Admission is free for all regular-season home soccer matches at the SDSU Sports Deck.
- Campus Policies – Throughout your visit to campus please be sure to follow campus guidelines at all times. Updated campus policies can be found HERE.
- Stay Home if Sick – While we are excited to have you back at our events, please do not come to campus if you do not feel well. Remain home to monitor your symptoms and seek medical attention as needed.