Cal Opens Home Slate Vs. Dixie State, UNLV
BERKELEY – California men's soccer continues hosts Dixie State on Friday and UNLV on Sunday in a pair of nonconference games as the Golden Bears return to Edwards Stadium for regular-season action. The Bears take on the Trailblazers at 1 p.m. on Friday and then host the Rebels at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Cal brings a 0-1-1 record into Friday's game, while Dixie State is 1-1-0. UNLV has a 2-0 record ahead of its Friday game at Saint Mary's.
Games at Edwards Stadium are open to the public. For the 2021 fall season, all nonconference games – including the matches against Dixie State and UNLV – will be free of charge. Tickets will be available for purchase on game day for all conference games. Admission for conference games is $10 for adults, $5 for seniors and $5 for youth. For more information, please visit the CalBears.com ticket page or text/call the Gold Standard Sales and Service team at (800) GO BEARS (462-3277).
Cal will live stream Friday's game – click here for that link – with live scores available here. The Pac-12 Networks will broadcast Sunday's game, and live stats for Cal-UNLV are available here.
Fans can follow Twitter updates for all Cal games at @CalMSoc.
Last Time: Cal Ties UCSB, Falls To Gaels
Cal went 0-1-1 in the first week of the season, falling to Saint Mary's 1-0 on Aug. 26 in Moraga and tying UC Santa Barbara on Aug. 29 in Santa Barbara. In the latter game, Cal sophomore midfielder/forward Wyatt Meyer scored his first goal as a Bear to give Cal a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute. But William Gillingham equalized for the Gauchos in the 73rd minute, and the teams eventually settled for a 1-1 tie after two overtime periods.
About the Bears
- Goalkeeper Chris Gustini made six saves against Saint Mary's and two vs. UCSB and has a goals-against average of 0.90.
- Gustini also assisted on the goal at UCSB, lofting a long ball over the Gauchos' defense to find Meyer.
- Freshmen defenders Kevin Carmichael and Santiago Hopkins made their collegiate debuts last week, starting both games and contributing to the solid play of the backline.
- Meyer, Juan Martinez and Christian Gomez have three shots each to lead the Bears.
- Kevin Grimes, Cal's all-time leader with 208 victories, is in his 22nd season as the Bears' head coach.
About the Trailblazers
- Dixie State defeated UC San Diego, 1-0, in its Aug. 26 season opener and then lost to California Baptist, 2-0, on Aug. 29.
- Forward Daniel Brubaker scored the Trailblazers' goal vs. UCSD.
- Gian Gargurevich and Duncan McKenna earned assists on Brubaker's goal.
- Goalkeeper Jacob Moore played 90 minutes and got the shutout against UCSD, while Levi Lord played the whole way in the loss to California Baptist.
- The Trailblazers posted a 3-6-0 record in the spring regular season.
- Jonny Broadhead is in his fourth season as Dixie State's head coach.
About the Rebels
- UNLV won at Gonzaga, 2-1, and beat UC San Diego, 2-1, at home to start the season.
- Forward Nicolas Likulia scored the first goal in each of the first two games and leads the Rebels in goals (2) and points (4).
- Midfielder Bailey Letherman paces UNLV in assists (2).
- Forward Marco Gonzalez scored the gamewinner vs. the Zags, and forward Aedon Kyra netted the winner vs. the Tritons.
- Lukas Betz has played every minute in goal and has a 1.00 GAA.
- UNLV went 4-5-2 in the spring regular season.
- Rich Ryerson is in his 12th season as the head coach of UNLV.
For more coverage of the Cal men's soccer team, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMSoc), Instagram (@CalMSoc) and Facebook (@CalMSoc).