Lumberjack Classic This Weekend
TEMPE, Ariz. - Back in Arizona this weekend, Sun Devil Volleyball is driving up north to Flagstaff to play in the Lumberjack Classic on Friday and Saturday, hosted by Northern Arizona.
ASU's match against host-team NAU will be on ESPN+ on Friday night. The neutral site matches against Utah Valley and UC Davis will not be available to watch but will have live scoring to follow along. Links to all of those can be found at the tournament central page.
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (3-3, 0-0 Pac-12)
- The Sun Devils went 1-2 at the Ameritas Players Challenge last weekend in Nebraska, picking up a win over Nebraska Omaha.
- Junior outside hitter Iman Isanovic had an outstanding weekend, earning a spot on the all-tournament team. She had 20+ kills in two matches, including a career-high 27 in the win over UNO. Currently, she is first in the Pac-12 in total attacks, kills and points and is in the top 20 in the nation for those categories as well.
- Libero Annika Larson had a strong weekend as well. She collected a career-high 30 digs in the win over UNO. The junior from Colorado is first in the conference in total digs (98).
- Sophomore Ella Snyder continues to pace the offense. She is second in the Pac-12 with 210 total assists. Against Nebraska Omaha, she tied her career high in assists with 49.
- In the middle, sophomore Claire Jeter continues to be a bright spot. She has 26 total blocks this season, good for second in the conference. She also has a .391 hitting percentage through six matches.
Utah Valley (1-3, 0-0 WAC)
- Utah Valley is 1-3 so far this season and will play a match on Wednesday before this weekend. UVU won a 5 set thriller against Hawaii last weekend before losing in straight sets to Cal Poly.
- In the spring 2020-21 season, the Wolverines finished with a record of 14-6. They won the WAC tournament as a No. 3 seed to punch their ticket to the NCAA tournament for the first time. They lost to Texas State in the first round.
- Senior outside hitter, Kazna Tanuvasa, leads the team in kills with 50. Sophomore setter, Abbie Miller, leads the team in assists with 71. Sophomore liberio, Bryton Bishop leads the team in digs with 51.
- ASU last faced off against UVU on August 30, 2013 in Orem, Utah. The Sun Devils won the match in straight sets. ASU is 3-1 against Utah Valley all-time.
Northern Arizona (0-4, 0-0 Big Sky)
- NAU is 0-4 this season. Last season, NAU finished with a 10-6 record. They lost in the semifinals of the Big Sky Conference tournament.
- Junior outside hitter Taylor Jacobsen leads the team in kills this season with 43. Sophomore setter, Kate Hatch, leads the team in assists with 63. Sophomore DS Millie O'Ketter leads the team in digs with 50.
- The two teams last faced off on September 14, 2018 in Tempe. ASU won the match three sets to one. ASU is 4-1 all-time against NAU.
UC Davis (3-3, 0-0 Big West)
- UC Davis is currently 3-3, with two of the losses coming against ranked opponents. Last weekend, UC Davis hosted the Aggie Invitational where they went 3-0, defeating Nevada, San Francisco and Santa Clara. The Aggies dropped only one set in the three matches.
- Last season, UC Davis did not compete as the Big West Conference cancelled all fall sports. In 2019, the Aggies had an overall record of 17-13 and advanced to the NIVC where they lost in the first round to Tulsa.
- The Aggies picked up some awards this week. Sophomore Shira Lahav won the Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Week and freshman Olivia Utterback was named the Big West Conference Freshman of the Week.
- Freshman outside hitter Amara Aimufua leads the team in kills this season with 69. Junior setter Jane Seslar leads the team in assists with 118. Sophomore DS/L Shira Lahav leads the teams in digs with 86.
- This will be the first time ASU and UC Davis have ever played each other.