USC Women’s Volleyball Set For Two Matches at Hawai’i
HONOLULU – USC women's volleyball (3-3) returns to the Aloha State for the first time in nearly a decade to face Hawai'i (2-4) on back-to-back nights as part of the Outrigger Volleyball Series in Simplifi Arena at Stan Sheriff Center. The Trojans play nine of their first 13 away from home and are on O'ahu for the back end of a 12-day road trip that began in Kentucky. USC is coming off back-to-back losses to Creighton (2-3) and defending NCAA champion No. 3 Kentucky (0-3). The Rainbow Wahine dropped three contests in Utah last weekend.
The last time USC played at Stan Sheriff Center, it won back-to-back five-set matches (vs. UH and Pepperdine) in the 2011 NCAA regional championship to advance to the second of consecutive national semifinal appearances. Since 2006, in six meetings, the Trojans and Wahine have played five sets four times. USC leads UH, 5-3, all-time in five-setters, which includes a commanding 5-1 edge when the teams go five in Hawai'i. The Trojans, however, are looking to avoid playing five as they are 0-2 in such contests this season.
2021 OUTRIGGER VOLLEYBALL SERIES
Simplifi Arena at Stan Sheriff Center • Honolulu, Hawai'i
Match #7 • Friday, September 10 • 7 p.m. HT
Match #8 • Saturday, September 11 • 7 p.m. HT
USC (3-3) at Hawai'i (2-4)
SERIES RECORD: USC trails, 18-22 (.450)
LAST MEETING: L 2-3 (Dec. 2, 2016 • Minneapolis, Minn.)
STREAK: Lost 1 • LAST 10 MEETINGS: 4-6
TV/STREAM: ESPN+ (Kanoa Leahey & Lisa Strand)
OPPONENT WEBSITE: HawaiiAthletics.com
- The Women of Troy are under the direction of second-year head coach Brad Keller who previously also served as an assistant coach for the USC men's volleyball program.
- Gr. OH Brooke Botkin was named to the Preseason All-Pac-12 Team.
- Sr. S Raquel Lázaro was the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year in 2018 and currently leads the league in service aces (0.56 saps).
- Pac-12 head coaches picked USC to finish sixth in a preseason poll.
- The Trojans are 13-11 all-time against the Rainbow Wahine on the islands and are 22-12 against all opponents when they play in Honolulu.
- USC and Hawai'i have played five-set matches in four of the last six meetings. Overall, the Trojans are 5-3 in eight five-set contests against the Wahine, including a 5-1 mark when those matches are played in Hawai'i.
- The last time USC played at Stan Sheriff Center was 10 years ago when it won back-to-back five-setters to advance to the 2011 NCAA national semifinal. USC beat host UH (Dec. 9) and then took down Pepperdine (Dec. 10).
- USC plays nine of its first 13 matches away from home this season.