No. 13 Aztecs Look to Bounce Back at OSU Sunday
No. 13 San Diego State (6-0-2, 2-0-0 Pac-12) at RV Oregon State (4-1-2, 0-0-0)
Sunday, October 3 | 2 p.m. PT | Paul Lorenz Soccer Stadium | Corvallis, Ore.
Oregon State Live Stream
- The No. 13 Aztecs (6-1-2, 2-1-0) play at Oregon State (5-1-1, 1-0-0) Sunday at 2 p.m.
- SDSU is coming off their first loss of the season, a 1-0 loss in extra time at No. 2 Washington (8-0-0, 1-0-0). Oregon State (5-1-1, 1-0-0) beat No. 23 UCLA 4-3 in their Pac-12 opener Thursday evening.
- SDSU moved up to No. 13 (from No. 14) in the United Soccer Coaches Poll, their highest ranking since being No. 13 on October 4, 2016. The Aztecs are ranked No. 2 in the Far West Region, trailing only No. 2 Washington (8-0-0). SDSU is ranked No. 18 by Top Drawer Soccer and College Soccer News.
- The Aztecs are one of three teams to allow two goals or less on the year (Duke & Georgetown).
- For the first time in the program's 53-year history, the Aztecs recorded seven shutouts and allowed just one goal through the team's first eight matches.
- SDSU was undefeated through its first eight matches for the first time since 2005.
- The Aztecs are 6-0-0 at home so far this season, the first time they've won their first six home matches since 1991.
- SDSU hadn't trailed all season until Washington's golden goal Thursday night, a span of 864 minutes.
- The Aztecs and goalkeeper Jacob Castro have seven shutouts, tied for the most in the nation. As a team, SDSU is second in the nation in team goals against average (.208), shutout percentage (.778) and save percentage (.935). The single-season school record for shutouts is 12.0 and a goals allowed average of 0.49 set by former Aztec All-American goalkeeper Tally Hall in 2005.
- Andre Ochoa, the team captain, is tied for the Pac-12 lead with four goals.
- Senior Tevenn Roux is tied for fourth in the conference with three assists. He has four points (one goal, two assists) in his last two matches.
- The Aztecs 1-0 win in extra time over No. 23 Stanford on Sept. 19 was their first against the Cardinal since 2011.
- SDSU is in a stretch of six straight road matches. The Aztecs won't play at home until November 4 (Oregon State).
- At 24-8-5 (.716), the Pac-12 is tied for the best non-conference win percentage in the nation (MAC).
- The Aztecs have trailed at halftime in just three of their 19 matches under second year head coach Ryan Hopkins.
- SDSU has the third best 2022 recruiting class according to Top Drawer Soccer.
Notes from the Washington Match (L, 1-0 in OT)
- There was a 20-minute delay in the first half due to a lighting failure at Husky Soccer Stadium.
- This was the first time the Aztecs have trailed all season.
- Washington's golden goal was the first goal SDSU allowed since Sept. 3.
- The Aztecs outshot the Huskies 5-4 in the second half.
- SDSU didn't commit a foul in the second half or extra time.
- SDSU was shut out for just the second time this season.
- The Aztecs used the same starting XI for the third consecutive match.
Coach Hopkins' Take on Oregon State
"Oregon State presents some unique challenges because of the intricacies of their offensive organization. We will have to be sharp in executing our game plan in a match that will have major postseason implications when all is said and done."
Opponent Notebook (Oregon State)
The Beavers are 5-1-1 overall on the year… They opened up Pac-12 play with a 4-3 win over No. 23 UCLA... They are receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll and are ranked No. 24 by College Soccer News... They are 3-1-1… They average 2.3 goals per match and have outscored their opponents 16-7 on the year… Tyrone Mondi's team-high 11 points are the most in the Pac-12… Tskiki Ntsabeleng has four assists and two goals… Goalkeeper Adrian Fernandez, who is in his fourth year as the Beavers' starting keeper, has a goals allowed average of 0.97, 23rd... Head coach Terry Boss (4th season) came to OSU after being an assistant coach at Virginia. Ryan Hopkins replaced him at UVA… The Aztecs are 11-21-3 all-time against Oregon State. The Beavers have won the last five meetings and outscored SDSU 9-0 in their two matches last year.
Season Preview Notes
- The Aztecs return eight starters from a season ago, including all three of their all-Pac-12 honorees (Andre Ochoa, Blake Bowen and Iñigo Villaldea).
- SDSU brings back 82 percent of their scoring and 87 percent of their points from last year.
- SDSU has nine newcomers (seven freshmen and two transfers). The Aztecs added three defenders, three midfielders, two forwards and one goalkeeper. Four of the incoming Aztecs are international recruits, hailing from Australia, Denmark, Netherlands and Slovenia. Rik Regeling (Netherlands) was listed by Top Drawer Soccer as one of their ten "International Players to Watch."
- The Aztecs have 16 underclassmen and just four seniors.
- After playing a Pac-12 exclusive schedule last year, SDSU will play seven non-conference matches this season, all against schools from the Big West or WCC.
- SDSU only has two matches outside of California (at Washington and Oregon State).