Bears Battle Broncos Saturday Night
BERKELEY – The California men's soccer team plays its last nonconference game of the regular season when the Golden Bears play at Santa Clara on Saturday at 7 p.m. Cal brings a 2-8-1 record into the match with the Broncos, who are 7-1-2 and 5-0-1 at home at Stevens Stadium.
Fans can watch the game on the WCC Network by clicking here, and live stats are available here. Fans can follow Twitter updates for all Cal games at @CalMSoc.
As part of Latinx Heritage Month, CalBears.com highlights Cal senior winger Alonzo Del Mundo in a story called "Blue-Collar Bear." Del Mundo, whose mother is from Mexico and whose father is from the Philippines, celebrates both of his cultures and talks about how both contribute to his strong work ethic in this Inside the Lair feature.
In the story, Del Mundo details a few ways the cultures are similar, including language and an emphasis on family.
"They're both big on big families, being close to your family, having a lot of food at gatherings," he said. "Both countries are the same – with nice people who make do with what they have, even if they don't have much money. It's nice to have two cultures come together and combine into one."
Last Time: Cal Falls To OSU, UW
Playing at home at Edwards Stadium, the Bears dropped a 1-0 result to No. 15 Oregon State on Oct. 7 on a late goal by the Beavers, and then, after keeping No. 2 Washington scoreless in the first half, fell to the Huskies, 4-0, on Oct. 10.
About the Bears
- Senior Cal defender/midfielder JJ Foe Nuphaus played and started his first two games of the season against OSU and UW.
- Midfielder Evan Davila (2 goals, 3 assists) continues to lead the team in points (7) and assists.
- Jack Singer paces the Bears in goals (3) and ranks second in points (6).
- Midfielder/forward Wyatt Meyer has two goals and an assist and ranks third in points (5).
- Freshman forward Shoei Honda (2 goals) ranks fourth in points (4).
- Senior goalkeeper Chris Gustini has a 1.17 goals-against average and .774 save percentage in seven starts.
- Both Davila and Meyer have family connections to Cal. Taylor Davila, Evan's brother, patrolled the Bears' midfield from 2018-19, and now plays professionally for the Los Angeles Galaxy II. Jennifer Thomas, Meyer's mother, played for the Cal women's soccer team from 1982-85, and was an assistant coach for the Cal women's team for 11 seasons.
- Five-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year Kevin Grimes, who is the Bears' all-time leader with 210 wins, is in his 22nd season as Cal's head coach.
About the Broncos
- Santa Clara tied Pacific, 2-2, in double overtime at home in its last game on Oct. 9.
- The Broncos' only loss of the season was a 1-0 setback on Sept. 6 at Georgetown, which is currently ranked No. 1 in the United Soccer Coaches' poll.
- Santa Clara also tied Cal State Fullerton, 1-1, in double OT on Sept. 24.
- Forward Oladayo Thomas leads the Broncos in goals (6), assists (5) and points (17).
- Goalkeeper Andreu Cases Mondet has a 0.59 GAA and two shutouts in 10 games.
- Cameron Rast is in his 20th year as Santa Clara's head coach.
Last Time Vs. Santa Clara
Senior Shinya Kadono scored his Pac-12 leading eighth goal of the season and redshirt freshman Alonzo Del Mundo scored as well, but Cal fell to host Santa Clara, 3-2 in overtime, on Sept. 22, 2018. The Broncos won the game on an own goal in the 93rd minute.
Singer, Davila Lauded For Play In Wins
Jack Singer claimed the Pac-12 Player of the Week honor, was named to the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week and was named the Gatorade Athlete of the Month by Cal Athletics after scoring three goals to lead Cal to victories over Dixie State on Sept. 3 and UNLV on Sept 5. This is the San Francisco native's first Pac-12 weekly award and the 40th for the Golden Bears program. Evan Davila claimed honorable mention for the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week for his heroics in both games.
Singer, a junior who has played as a defender, midfielder and forward, netted the gamewinner in Cal's 2-0 victory over Dixie State in the home opener. He then scored Cal's first and third goals in a 4-3 win over UNLV also at Edwards Stadium.
Davila assisted on Singer's goal vs. Dixie State and scored Cal's second, and then the sophomore scored his second goal of the season against UNLV.
Midfielder Fernando Andrade writes Fer Play, a Cal men's soccer blog on CalBears.com. A political science major aspiring to do a double major with business administration, Andrade gives insight and behind the scenes details about the Bears during the season. Click here to read Fer Play.
Cal returns to Pac-12 Conference play when the Bears host UCLA on Oct. 21 and San Diego State on Oct. 24 at Edwards Stadium.
For more coverage of the Cal men's soccer team, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMSoc), Instagram (@CalMSoc) and Facebook (@CalMSoc).