Bears Host Cal State LA In Exhibition Opener
BERKELEY – California men's basketball hits the hardwood for the first time in 2021-22 on Monday at 6 p.m. PT, hosting Cal State LA in an exhibition game at Haas Pavilion. An in-arena video board live stream will be available for those not in attendance.
Monday marks the first time since Feb. 29, 2020 – a span of 611 days – that fans will be in Haas Pavilion for a men's basketball contest. All fans 12 and older attending the game will be required to show proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination and a photo ID prior to entry.
- Date & Time: Monday, Nov. 1 | 6 p.m. PT
- Tickets: CalBears.com/tickets
- Watch: Live Stream
- Listen: N/A
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- The Golden Bears are entering year three under head coach Mark Fox.
- Cal's 17-man roster features 13 returners from its 2020-21 squad and four newcomers, including three freshmen and one graduate transfer.
- Senior Andre Kelly is Cal's top returning scorer and rebounder after averaging 10.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game last season. The forward ranked second in the Pac-12 in field goal percentage (58.7) a season ago.
- An experienced group of seniors – Grant Anticevich, Makale Foreman, Kelly and Jordan Shepherd – have played in a combined 433 games throughout their collegiate careers. Both Foreman and Shepherd arrived in Bear Territory as graduate transfers, while Anticevich and Kelly have played their entire careers at Cal.
- Seven Bears are originally from outside of the United States, including two from Canada (Joel Brown, Jalen Celestine), two from Australia (Anticevich, Kuany Kuany), one from Germany (Lars Thiemann), one from Greece (Dimitrios Klonaras) and one from Ireland (Sam Alajiki).
- Cal is 1-1 all-time against Cal State LA, having faced the Golden Eagles twice in the 1970s.
ABOUT CAL STATE LA
The Golden Eagles, who have not played since the conclusion of the 2019-20 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, compete in Division II's California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) and were picked to finish sixth in the 2021-22 CCAA preseason coaches' poll. Cal State LA's roster features just two players from its 2019-20 squad. The Golden Eagles most recently went 13-16 overall in 2019-20, one year after going 18-12 and reaching the CCAA Championship Tournament semifinals in 2018-19.
The 2021-22 Cal men's basketball season officially begins Tuesday, Nov. 9, when the Bears host UC San Diego (2 p.m. PT on Pac-12 Network).
For complete coverage of Cal men's basketball, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).