USC Women's Volleyball Drops Four-Set Fight to Buffaloes in Boulder
BOULDER, Colo. – The USC women's volleyball team (10-12, 6-7 Pac-12) fell to Colorado (14-8, 5-8) in four sets (25-23, 18-25, 25-13, 25-20) at the CU Events Center on Friday, Nov. 5.
- Gr. OH Brooke Botkin led the Trojans with 16 kills and added eight digs, one block, and one of USC's four service aces.
- Fr. MB Tyrah Ariail hit .400 and collected 11 kills for her third double-digit kills match of the year with five blocks (one solo).
- Gr. MB Candice Denny had 10 kills (3e, 18att) and hit .389 to go with five digs, three blocks (one solo), and an ace.
- Fr. S Mia Tuaniga registered 42 assists to go with three digs, two blocks, four kills, and one ace.
- Gr. LIB Shannon Scully had 11 digs with three kills and Sr. DS Kylie Baumert had 11 digs.
- For Colorado, Maya Tabron led the way with 18 kills (8e, 40att, .250) with eight digs. Meegan Hart had nine kills (0e, 11att) and hit .818. Jahara Campbell posted eight kills. Brynna DeLuzio led all players with 18 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans erased a seven-point first-set deficit to tie the score at 23-all, but back-to-back hitting errors did USC in as Colorado earned a 25-23 first-set win.
- USC refocused and got 19 kills with just one error in the second set to hit .562. Despite putting up six service errors, the Trojans walked away with a 25-18 win to even the match.
- Colorado was efficient in the third to come away with a 25-13 win. The Buffaloes hit .346 and had just 13 kills but outpaced the Trojan attack, which was held to a negative .036 percentage with eight kills and nine errors on 28 swings.
- The teams went back and forth through the early portion of set four, but CU stiffened up and ran away with the match to close out a 25-20 win. The Buffaloes led by as many as six and had five match points to burn.
- USC had more kills than its opponent for the 14th time this season but fell to 9-5 in those contests. The Buffaloes held a 23-8 advantage from the service line with a 9-4 aces edge and four errors to USC's 14.
- The Trojans head to Salt Lake City for a Sunday match-up with 16th-ranked Utah (15-6, 8-4 Pac-12). The teams are set to face off at Jon M. Huntsman Center at noon MT (11 a.m. PT) on Pac-12 Mountain.
- USC fell to 21-2 all-time against Colorado and to 8-2 in Boulder.
- The Buffaloes snapped a seven-match losing streak to the Trojans and beat USC for the first time since 2017.
- The Trojans go to 12-4 all-time in the state of Colorado.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.