Elite Talent Heads to The Farm
STANFORD, Calif. -- Head coach Tabitha Yim announced the signings of four elite gymnasts to National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.
Ashley Carter (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.), Claire Dean (Piedmont, Calif.), Taralyn Nguyen (Fair Oaks, Calif.) and Anna Roberts (Seattle, Wash.) will head to The Farm for the 2022-23 season.
"We are excited to welcome this dynamic group of young women and families to Stanford," noted Yim. "It has been such a pleasure getting to know them throughout the recruiting process and they have already developed a strong bond and rapport with our staff and program. These women strive for excellence in every arena and understand and appreciate the responsibility of representing the "S". They will be instrumental in building off the rich history of success at Stanford to help take our program to the next level. These young women are character students, athletes, leaders and people who will be a great addition to the Stanford Women's Gymnastics family. We are thrilled for them to join a strong group of returning athletes who are ready to make their mark. Our Stanford fans are in for a treat!"
Ashley Carter • Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. • Laurel Springs School
- Club participation: Charter Oak Glider's Gymnastics (2018-present)
- 2018-19: Award of Excellence for Being a Valuable Player, Award of Excellence for Dedication, Most Consistent Gymnastics
- 2021: Best Leader Award
- 2021 DP Nationals: 2nd BB
- 2021 Region 1 Championship: 1st AA, BB, 2nd VT, UB, 3rd FX
- 2019 JO National Championship: 11th AA
- 2019 Regional Championship: 3rd FX
- 2019 State Championship: 1st AA, VT, 2nd UB, BB, 3rd FX
- Parents are Michael and Kami Carter
- Has a brother, Andrew, and a sister, Courtney
- Dad played football at the University of Redlands as a running back, named Shriner's Potato Bowl MVP
Why Stanford? »
"I chose Stanford because the academics and athletics will bring the best out of me. The opportunities are endless, the campus is gorgeous, and the goal to succeed is widely supported and encouraged. I am so excited to represent the "S" as a student-athlete on the women's gymnastics team. I know I will be able to achieve greatness here at Stanford. Go CARD!"
Coach Yim on Ashley Carter »
"We are excited to welcome Ashley to the Cardinal family. She is a fierce competitor whose consistency, power and clean lines will make an immediate impact across the events. Ashley is relentless in her pursuit of excellence, and her tenacity and drive have allowed her to reach the highest level in the classroom and on the competition floor. We know she will thrive at Stanford and look forward to the impact she will have on our program and the greater Stanford community.
Claire Dean • Piedmont, Calif. • Piedmont High School
- Club participation: Head Over Heels Athletic Arts (2010-2020), East Bay Gymnastics (2020-present)
- 2021 DP Nationals: 10th All-around, 2nd UB, 4th BB
- 2021 Region 1 Championship: 1st AA, 2nd UB, BB
- 2019 JO National team member
- 2019 JO Nationals: 2nd AA, BB, 4th UB, 5th VT
- 2019 NorCal State Championship: 1st BB, 2nd AA, FX, 3rd VT, UB
- 2018 P&G Championship Qualifier (Junior)
- 2017 JO Nationals: 1st BB
- Parents are Stephen Dean III and Karen Dean
- Has two brothers, Graham and Spencer
- Mother played lacrosse and field hockey at Mount Holyoke College
Why Stanford? »
The Stanford team shares a competitive spirit while remaining genuine and easygoing. The drive to be better and learn as much as possible is clear both in the gym and in the classroom. I have already built a foundation with the coaches and my class which has just made me that much more confident that Stanford is where I belong. I trust them as they have put their trust in me and I know they all have my back through each tough practice and every big moment. Standing on the Stanford campus gives me the chills every time, the resources are practically limitless, and I've heard the food is quite good. I cannot wait to get to know everyone else and rep the Stanford S!"
Coach Yim on Claire Dean »
"Claire is a seasoned performer with experience as an international elite and JO National team member. She is outstanding on all four events and executes high difficulty skills with poise, style and grace. Claire strives for excellence in every arena and has a real passion and enthusiasm for gymnastics, academics and Stanford! We are excited for Claire to join the program and know her personality and positive spirit will be a great addition to the Stanford family. "
Taralyn Nguyen • Fair Oaks, Calif. • Bella Vista High School
- Club participation: Technique Gymnastics
- Club team record holder: AA, VT, FX, BB
- 2021 DP Nationals: 1st VT
- 2021 Region 1 Championship: 1st VT (scored a perfect 10), 2nd FX, 3rd BB
- 2019 JO Nationals: 1st FX, 3rd VT
- 2019 NorCal State Championship: 1st VT, 3rd AA
- 2018 JO Nationals: 1st FX, 5th AA, VT
- Parents are Tom and Quynh Nguyen
- Has a brother, Tyler
Why Stanford? »
"I chose Stanford because I value balance, and I believe that this school will provide the perfect environment for me to develop in all aspects of my life. I look forward to pursuing my academic goals, competing for the SWG team, forming lasting friendships, and growing as an individual at Stanford. I'm so excited I get to spend the next four years at my dream school!"
Coach Yim on Taralyn Nguyen »
"We are thrilled to welcome Taralyn to Stanford! She is a dynamic performer known for her high-flying skills and unique combinations across the events. Taralyn is truly a first-class gymnast, student and person whose confidence and presence lights up every room and arena she walks into. Her personality and charisma are sure to make her a fan favorite on the Farm! We are excited for her to bring these qualities to Stanford and know she will make an indelible mark on our program."
Anna Roberts • Seattle, Wash. • Seattle Preparatory School
- Club participation: Metropolitan Gymnastics
- Two-time team captain
- 2021 DP Nationals: 1st AA, 2nd VT, FX
- 2021 Region 1 Championship: 1st AA, VT, UB, FX, 2nd BB
- 2021 State Championship: 1st VT, UB, FX; 3rd BB
- 2019 Regional Championship: 1st AA, VT,BB, 2nd UB, FX
- 2019 Washington State Championship: 1st VT, FX, 2nd AA, UB
- Parents are Neil and Theresa Roberts
- Has two sisters, Ellie and Laura, and a brother, Christopher
- Sister played collegiate women's soccer at the University of Washington
- Comes from an athletic family with cousins that attended Georgetown University, Dartmouth College, Creighton University, Gonzaga University, and Seattle University to compete collegiately in their chosen sports
- Cousin is on US Equestrian- Show Jumping National Team
Why Stanford? »
"I chose Stanford because of its rigorous but fulfilling academics along with its amazing athletics and incredible and welcoming coaching staff. Being a part of this community allows me to be around people who push me to reach my full potential and strive for greatness in both the classroom and the gym."
Coach Yim on Anna Roberts »
"Anna is a tremendous athlete and all-around competitor who recently earned the 2021 DP National title! Her combination of athleticism and artistry allow her to excel on all four events and she truly shines on vault and floor exercise. In addition to her athletic gifts, Anna is an incredible role model who inspires others with her dedication, persistence and work ethic. We are excited for Anna to join the Stanford family and know she has a bright future ahead of her."