Bears Hit Road To Face UNLV
BERKELEY – California men's basketball will look to notch its first win of the early 2021-22 season when it clashes with UNLV on the road Saturday. Tip-off is slated for 5 p.m. PT from inside the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. The game will be broadcast on the Mountain West Network/Stadium.
The Golden Bears (0-1) are coming off of a season-opening loss to UC San Diego at home on Tuesday while UNLV (1-0) posted a victory over Gardner-Webb on Wednesday. Cal fans making the trip to Las Vegas for the game must show proof of vaccination for entry into the Thomas & Mack Center. More information can be found at UNLVRebels.com.
- Date & Time: Saturday, Nov. 13 | 5 p.m. PT
- Watch: Stadium/Mountain West Network | Ben Wilson (PxP) & Tony Cordasco (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: UNLVRebels.com
- Game Notes: Cal | UNLV
- Cal has won two consecutive games against UNLV despite trailing 3-5 in the all-time series. The most recent win, a 79-75 overtime triumph, came on Nov. 12, 2019 in Berkeley in Mark Fox's second game as Cal's head coach.
- Graduate transfer Jordan Shepherd tied a career high with 27 points in his Cal debut on Tuesday. The guard shot 9-20 from the field and 4-7 from behind the arc while adding four steals.
- Senior Andre Kelly recorded his fifth career double-double on Tuesday with 17 points and 12 rebounds. Kelly is Cal's top returning scorer and rebounder after averaging 10.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game last season. The forward ranked second in the Pac-12 in field goal percentage (58.7) a season ago.
- Seven of Cal's nine remaining non-conference games following Saturday's contest at UNLV will be played at home where they are 18-14 since 2019-20 and 265-108 in 22-plus seasons.
- Cal has out-rebounded their opponents in seven of their past nine games dating back to Feb. 11, 2021 of last season. Cal out-rebounded UC San Diego 31-30 behind 18 combined boards from Kelly and Grant Anticevich.
- The Bears carry an experienced 17-man roster with 13 returners included. Of the four newcomers are Shepherd and three freshmen – Sam Alajiki (Dundalk, Ireland), Obinna Anyanwu (San Diego) and Marsalis Roberson (Oakland). Alajiki scored three points and grabbed two rebounds in his collegiate debut on Tuesday.
- Anticevich (fifth year), Makale Foreman (graduate), Kelly (senior) and Shepherd (graduate) have played a combined 436 games throughout their collegiate careers.
- Cal's 92-58 exhibition win over Cal State LA on Nov. 1 saw the Bears shoot 62.1 percent from the field as a team. Anticevich paced the squad by scoring 19 of his game-high 23 points in the first half while Kelly added 17 points and five assists.
Cal quickly turns around to host San Diego at 6 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 15 at Haas Pavilion. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
For complete coverage of Cal men's basketball, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).