Key Road Trip To Los Angeles This Weekend
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Two crucial weeks on the road for Sun Devil Volleyball begins this weekend in Los Angeles, first taking on No. 13 UCLA on Friday at 7 p.m. MST before facing USC on Sunday at 2 p.m. MST.
How to Follow
Friday's matchup against the Bruins will be on the Pac-12 Network while Sunday's against the Trojans will be on the USC Live Stream. Live stats will be available for both matches and updates will be provided on Twitter (@SunDevilVB) and Instagram (@sundevilvolleyball).
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (14-13, 7-9 Pac-12)
- The Sun Devils are coming off their last home matches of the season where they beat Colorado to complete the season sweep for the first time since 2011. They came up short against Utah on Senior Day on Sunday. These last two weeks of the regular season will see Arizona State on the road, starting in Los Angeles this weekend. In order to be eligible for the NCAA Tournament, the team needs to win two to get the record above .500.
- Freshman outside hitter Geli Cyr was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week on Monday after she reached double figures in kills in both matches over the weekend, notching 12 against Colorado and 10 against Utah. Cyr had a career-high in digs in Friday's match where she had 17 digs, getting her fourth double-double of the season along with having a career-high four blocks on Sunday.
- Junior outside hitter Iman Isanovic continues to lead the team in kills as she has 449 over the course of the season. Isanovic had 20 or more kills in both matches over the weekend with 26 against CU and 20 against Utah, and now has reached 20+ kills in eight matches. She is 40 kills away from cracking the top-10 for total kills in a single season in ASU history. Her kill total is already the highest a single Sun Devil has had since 2017.
- Sophomore outside hitter Marta Levinska has three matches in a row reaching double figures in kills as she had a season-best 19 kills in Friday's win over the Buffaloes, and also had her career-high in digs with 20. Over the season, she's second on the team ini total kills and in total blocks with 314 and 237, respectively.
- Grad libero Jamye Cox played her final two home matches over the weekend, where she reached double figures in digs for both of those matches. Cox had 21 digs on Sunday, a new season-high and the 12th match of her career having 20 or more digs.
- The setting duties were split over the weekend between junior Shannon Shields and sophomore Ella Snyder. Shields came in during the second set on Friday and had a season-high 31 assists and on Sunday against the Utes, she started and played in the first set, notching 15 assists. Snyder, playing the rest of the matchup with Utah, had 24 assists and eight digs. Snyder leads the team in total assists this season with 928, the highest single season total a Sun Devil has had since 2014.
No. 13 UCLA (20-4, 13-3 Pac-12)
- Last weekend, UCLA traveled to the Oregon schools where the Bruins swept Oregon State on Friday but lost in straight sets to No. 16 Oregon in Eugene on Sunday.
- In the conference standings, UCLA is tied with Washington for first place.
- The Sun Devils played the Bruins last on Oct. 14 at home where they upset UCLA in a reverse sweep. This was the first time since 2014 that ASU had defeated UCLA and the first win against the Bruins for head coach Sanja Tomasevic. The team also had its season high in aces in that match with 11 aces.
- The stat leaders in assists, digs and kills for the Bruins are all currently third in the Pac-12 in those categories. Mac May leads her team in kills as she's had 428 this season. Averaging 10.58 assists per set, grad setter Shelby Martin leads her team with 928 total over the course of the season. Zoe Fleck, a senior libero, is the team leader in digs with 367.
USC (11-14, 7-9 Pac-12)
- Last weekend, USC went to the Oregon schools where it came up short in a five-set match against No. 16 Oregon on Friday and went to Corvallis on Sunday and swept Oregon State.
- The Sun Devils played the Trojans on Oct. 15 at Desert Financial Arena where they came up short in their ninth five-set match of the season. The team served 10 aces that match, with Isanovic and Levinska each earning three.
- Grad outside hitter Brooke Botkin leads USC in kills with 356 this season, which is fifth in the conference. In assists, freshman setter Mia Tuaniga is the team leader in assists with 566 this season. On defense for the Trojans, grad outside hitter Shannon Scully leads the way with 355 digs on the season.