Bears Back On The Road To Face UC San Diego
BERKELEY – The 3-0 Cal women's basketball team returns to the road this weekend, traveling to San Diego to take on UC San Diego on Saturday at RIMAC Arena in La Jolla. Tipoff for Saturday's contest is slated for 4:00 p.m. The game will be streamed on ESPN+ (subscription required), fans fan also follow the action via livestats at UCSDTritons.com
The Bears are 3-0 after defeating Utah State 81-49 last Tuesday. UC San Diego (2-1) has won two-straight after defeating Westcliff 91-32 on Wednesday night at home. For fans wishing to attend Saturday's game proof of vaccination or a negative covid test within 48 hours of game time. For more information, click here.
GAME 4 INFORMATION
Date/Time: Nov. 20, 2021 – 4:00 p.m. PT
Opponent: UC San Diego Tritons (2-1, 0-0 Big West)
Site: RIMAC Arena (La Jolla, CA)
TV: ESPN+ (subscription required)
Live Stats: UCSDTritons.com
AT A GLANCE
• Last time out: Tuesday's game against Utah State featured just one lead change and one tie. The Aggies scored first, but a three-point play by Evelien Lutje Schipholt early in the first quarter gave the Bears the lead for good. Cal pulled away slowly thanks to a series of runs in the second, third, and fourth quarter - the largest a 10-0 run in the third. Lutje Schipholt finished with a game-high 23 points, 17 rebounds, along with five blocks. The Bears did not have a good shooting performance, but won the game in the paint, outrebounding the Aggies 57-41.
• Cal is 3-0 for the first time under head coach Charmin Smith. It is just the 17th time in program history the Bears have opened 3-0. A win on Saturday against UC San Diego would make Cal 4-0 for the first time since the 2018-19 season and just the 12th time overall.
• Following Cal's 81-49 win over Utah State, the Bears have held opponents to less than 50 points in back-to-back contests for the first time since they did it Feb. 6-8, 2015 against Arizona (65-46), and Arizona State (50-49).
• Freshman guard Jayda Curry had an impressive opening week, she was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week on Monday after averaging 25.0 points per contest and shooting 47.1 percent from the field in the Bears' two wins. She is the first Cal player to win that award since Evelien Lutje Schipholt earned it on Nov. 25, 2019.
• As a team, the Bears are shooting 45.6 percent from the field (88-for-193). As of Nov. 17, Cal's field goal percentage ranks 82nd in the nation and sixth in the Pac-12. The Bear's 80.3 points per game ranks 60th in the nation. Cal's +26.7 scoring margin is 45th in the nation.
• Cal's opponents this year are averaging 53.7 points per game, and shooting 33.1 percent from the field. The Bears have held their opponents to 26.7 percent shooting from beyond the arc, (16-for-60).
•Rare Company: In Tuesday's win over Utah State, forward Evelien Lutje Schipholt put up some career numbers, scoring 23 points, grabbing 17 rebounds and blocking five shots. She joins a legendary list of Cal players who have accomplished this feat in the last 10 years, joining Reshanda Gray and Kristine Anigwe (2x). Lutje Schipholt is the only player this season so far who has put up those numbers. It was Lutje Schipholt's second double-double of the season and fifth of her career.
• 70 or bust: Under head coach Charmin Smith, the Golden Bears are 12-3 in contests in which they score at least 70 points, they are 7-0 when they score 76 or more. This season, Cal is 3-0 and averaging 80.3 points per game, their one contest under 80 came in a 70-41 win over USF at the Chase Center.
Series Versus UC San Diego
Saturday will mark the fifth time the Golden Bears and Tritons have squared off, however it is the first time the two teams have played since 1978. All-time Cal owns a 3-1 record against UC San Diego, and have won three-straight. The first three contests took place at the UC Davis Tournament from 1974, '76, and '77. UCSD took the first contest 44-34 on Jan. 18, 1974. Last time out, the Bears defeated UCSD in Santa Cruz on Jan. 6, 1978 with Cal winning 72-29. Saturday will make the first time the Bears have played in La Jolla.
About the Tritons
UC San Diego is in the middle of year two of their four-year post season ban as they transition from Division II to Division I. Members of the Big West, the Tritons are led by longtime head coach Heidi VanDerveer. As of Tuesday, the Tritons are 2-1 with a loss against Portland to begin the season, but have won back-to-back contests over Seattle U and Westcliff. UC San Diego brings back 11 letter winners and three starters from last year's squad, they welcome eight newcomers to the team, two transfers and six freshmen. Three players are averaging better than 10.0 points per game, leading the team is Emily Cangelosi at 13.0 points per contest. The Tritons are a grind it out defensive minded team. They allow just 55.7 points per game and have held opponents to 15.0 percent from 3-point range.
Last Time Out Versus UCSD
As part of a four-game tournament held in Santa Cruz, the Bears defeated the Tritons 72-29 on Jan. 6, 1978. It was the first year under then head coach Marci Cantrell. The Bears finished that year with a 19-12 record and went 7-5 in NORCAL conference play.
The Bears will return to Haas Pavilion next Friday and Saturday when they host the Raising the B.A.R Invitational powered by Cal. The Bears will host Furman on Friday, also participating in the event is San Diego State and Ole Miss. Friday's game is slated for a 1:00 p.m. start with SDSU and Ole Miss scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m.