Levinska Strong In Setback At USC
LOS ANGELES -- Despite three reaching double figures in kills, Sun Devil Volleyball fell in four sets at USC (21-25, 25-23, 25-19, 25-16) to end the penultimate weekend of the regular season.
- Arizona State (14-15, 7-11 Pac-12) has now out-blocked their opponents in consecutive matches, where the Sun Devils had eight to USC's (13-14, 9-9 Pac-12) six. Sophomore pin hitter Marta Levinska matched her season-high in blocks with five.
- Leading the team in kills as well, Levinska had 16 kills on a .308 clip and also tallied eight digs.
- Junior outside hitter Iman Isanovic had 12 kills, making this her 13th match in a row reaching double figures in kills. Isanovic also had eight digs.
- Sophomore setter Ella Snyder had 37 assists along with 10 digs in the match, good for her 13th double-double this fall.
- Sophomore middle blocker Claire Jeter reached double digits in kills for the 12th match this season with 11 while hitting a team-high .429 clip. She also added four blocks.
- Grad libero Jamye Cox has now reached double figures in digs in each of the last five matches with 13. She also added five assists.
Set One: Arizona State 25, USC 21
ASU took an early 8-6 lead after a kill from Jeter. An ace from Snyder brought the Sun Devils up by four 13-9, forcing a timeout for USC. A block from Levinska and Jeter made it 18-11 for ASU, but a 4-0 run by the Trojans brought them within three, resulting in a Sun Devil timeout. An Isanovic kill gave ASU the set point 24-20, and a kill from Levinska gave the Sun Devils the first set, 25-21.
Set Two: USC 25, Arizona State 23
The teams kept it close throughout the beginning of the set, with a kill by Levinskia tying the set 6-6. A block from Claudia Stahlke and Levinska gave ASU a 12-10 lead in the first set. USC tied the set on a kill following a Sun Devil timeout, 15-15. A Geli Cyr kill made it 22-20 for ASU, but the Trojans eventually tied the set 23-23. A block by USC gave it the set, 25-23.
Set Three: USC 25, Arizona State 19
A 5-0 run by the Trojans gave them a 7-4 lead in the early part of the third set. A 7-1 run from USC gave it a 14-6, and a kill from Isanovic stopped the drought for ASU. The Sun Devils were able to score five in a row to get within two on a Jeter kill, 17-15. ASU took a timeout after a kill by the Trojans, making it 20-16. A hitting error by the Sun Devils gave the Trojans the third set, 25-19.
Set Four: USC 25, Arizona State 16
A block from Jeter and Snyder gave ASU a 6-4 lead. A kill by USC gave it a 12-10 lead, and then the Trojans had a 5-0 run to lead by six, 18-12, forcing a timeout by the Sun Devils. A service error by USC stopped the run for the Trojans, but a kill by USC kept it up seven 21-14. An ace by the Trojans gave them the set and match, 25-16.
Arizona State will finish its season with two more away matches, first at Oregon State on Wednesday in Corvallis and then at Arizona on Saturday in Tucson. Both matches can be viewed on the Pac-12 Network.