Cal Hosts Saint Mary’s Saturday
BERKELEY – The California men's tennis team and Kris Kwinta make their home debut this season when the Golden Bears host Saint Mary's on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
Saturday will mark the first time that Kwinta – who was hired in October – will coach a match in Berkeley as the program's first Peter Wright Director of Men's Tennis. It will also be the first home match for freshmen Alex Chang, Derrick Chen, Carl Emil Overbeck and Mikey Wright.
Cal brings a 1-1 record into the nonconference match and, for the third straight time, will face a team playing its dual-match opener.
Admission is free to regular-season tennis matches at the Hellman Tennis Complex. Fans can also follow all the action via the Hellman live stream and live scores by clicking here and can follow match updates on Twitter at @CalMensTennis.
Cal Athletics follows all state and local public health guidelines to mitigate risk and support the health and well-being of those who attend Cal athletic events. Under these policies, fans attending outdoor events on campus are strongly encouraged to wear facial coverings in outdoor areas. Facial coverings are required at all times in indoor spaces (i.e., restrooms) for guests ages 2 and up regardless of vaccination status, unless actively eating or drinking. Masks will be available at entrances for fans upon request.
Individuals who are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms or are under a quarantine or isolation order should not attend.
These protocols are subject to change based on local, state and national guidelines.
Scouting the Bears
- In the teams' last meeting, Cal defeated Saint Mary's, 5-2, to open the 2021 dual-match season on Jan. 18, with Yuta Kikuchi beating Fabian Roensdorf, 6-1, 6-4, on court two
- Two Cal doubles pairs are currently ranked in No. 15 Yuta Kikuchi and Carl Emil Overbeck and No. 58 Kikuchi and Philip Hjorth
- Graduate transfer Sean Hill – Cal's most recent addition – beat Tulane's Alex Bancila, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, on Jan. 17 for his first singles win as a Bear
- First-year head coach Kris Kwinta (UCLA '08) joined the Bears after serving on the USC coaching staff for nine years
- Kwinta's staff includes assistant coach and former BYU player Francis Sargeant along with volunteer assistant coach and former professional player Jared Donaldson
Scouting the Gaels
- Saint Mary's last competed in the Pacific Invitational in November
- The Gaels had a 5-14 record in their 2021 season
- The doubles team of Boris Reckow and James Watt earned 2021 All-WCC honorable mention
- Greg Kennett is in his seventh year as head coach of Saint Mary's
Last Time: Kwinta Earns First Win At Tulsa
Philip Hjorth won a three-setter to start the Kris Kwinta, dual-match era with a victory, as Cal edged Tulsa, 4-3, on Jan. 15 in Oklahoma. Cal dropped the doubles point but completed a rally in singles when Hjorth defeated Ezequiel Santalla, 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-1, on court two.
Cal battled to another 4-3 result on the road on Jan. 17, but this time the Bears fell to Tulane to even their record at 1-1. The Green Wave clinched its win when Rafael De Alba defeated Cal freshman Derrick Chen, 6-7, 7-6, 6-2, on court five in New Orleans.
Cal hosts UCLA on Feb. 5 and USC on Feb. 6 at the Hellman Tennis Complex.