Bears Open Three-Game Week At Stanford
BERKELEY – The California men's basketball team kicks off a three-game week at rival Stanford on Tuesday night. Tip-off from Maples Pavilion is slated for 7 p.m. PT and the game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
The Bay Area battle is Cal's third straight road game and one of five games the Golden Bears are playing in a 10-day span from Jan. 27-Feb. 5. Cal (9-12, 2-8 Pac-12) and Stanford were originally scheduled to play this game on Jan. 2, but it was postponed due to health and safety protocols within Stanford's program.
Cal has lost seven in a row, having faced five top-15 opponents (UCLA and USC twice, Arizona once) since Jan. 6. Stanford (12-7, 5-4) topped No. 15 USC, 64-61, before suffering a 23-point loss at No. 7 UCLA on its trip to Los Angeles last week.
- Date & Time: Tuesday, Feb. 1 | 7 p.m. PT
- Watch: Pac-12 Network | Ted Robinson (PxP) & Don MacLean (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM (Tune-In App) | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Cal is 3-3 against Stanford under head coach Mark Fox, having faced the Cardinal three times in each of the past two seasons. Along with a 52-50 win at home on Jan. 26, 2020, Cal has twice eliminated Stanford from the Pac-12 Tournament with first-round wins in 2020 and 2021. The Bears' last win at Stanford came on March 7, 2019.
- Cal is 7-1 when its veteran trio of Jordan Shepherd (14.3 points per game), Andre Kelly (13.4) & Grant Anticevich (10.4) score 10+ points in the same game. Shepherd has scored in double figures in 14 of the past 15 games & is averaging a team-leading 15.3 PPG in Pac-12 play.
- Andre Kelly has been one of the Pac-12's most consistent big men this season, posting seven double doubles while ranking 12th nationally in FG% (60.7%). His third in the Pac-12 in rebounds per game (8.4).
- Cal is continuing to work back into a defensive groove after three difficult performances vs. No. 3 Arizona, No. 7 UCLA and No. 15 USC. Despite the recent woes, Cal is still among the Pac-12's best defensive teams, statistically, ranking second in 3-point field-goal percentage defense (30.7%), fifth in scoring defense (66.0) & seventh in field-goal percentage defense (41.8%).
- Freshman Sam Alajiki has started two straight games, and scored a season-high 11 points on 4-6 shooting at No. 7 UCLA on Jan. 27.
- Jalen Celestine and Kuany Kuany are adding much-needed offensive intensity down the stretch, averaging a combined 15.0 points per game over seven games since Jan. 6.
- In its most recent loss at No. 15 USC, Cal became just the second team this season to shoot 50 percent or better against the Trojans, who rank ninth nationally in field-goal percentage defense. Four Bears scored in double figures, led by 13 from Makale Foreman.
Cal will host Washington at 8 p.m. PT on Thursday, Feb. 3 at Haas Pavilion. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
For further coverage of Cal men's basketball, follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).