#4 ASU Hosts #10 Missouri Saturday, Wear Maroon!
TEMPE - There will be a Maroon Monsoon Saturday at 6 p.m. when No. 4 Arizona State hosts No. 10 Missouri inside Dessert Financial Arena. ASU is looking to extend its perfect home record to four duals and claim the fifth win over a top-25 team this season. Saturday's dual will stream via Pac-12 Insider and features five HUGE matchups at 125, 157, 165, 197 and heavyweight - the best of which pits Pac-12 Champion, 2x All-American and Mexico Senior World Team member #7 Anthony Valencia up against MAC Champion, All-American and Jr. World Champion No.1 Keegan O'Toole. Three-time Pac-12 Champion and All-American #9 Kordell Norfleet also highlights the dual against All-American, MAC Champion and Jr. World Champion #5 Rocky Elam. Fans are encouraged to wear maroon.
#4 Arizona State vs. #10 Missouri
Saturday, Feb. 12, 6 p.m. MST
Watch: Pac-12 Insider
Saturday is going to be absolutely WILD ?????? pic.twitter.com/YuSU3nqmj4
— Sun Devil Wrestling (@ASUWrestling) February 9, 2022
Last Time Out
- The Sun Devils picked up their fifth-straight win with a 29-12 road victory over Little Rock last Sunday. The Sun Devils recorded four major decisions and a pair of tech falls in the victory, with No. 4 Michael McGee recording his seventh tech of the year just days after earning his 100th career win. No. 11 Kordell Norfleet recorded the other tech, a 20-3 3:47 win that stands as his third of the year. No. 3 Jacori Teemer and No. 2 Cohlton Schultz remain undefeated at 15-0 and 14-0, respectively. ASU's winners didn't allow a single takedown until the second period of 184.
Sun Devil Notables
- McGee earned back-to-back tech fall victories last weekend. He earned 3:25 17-1 tech over Jackson DiSario Friday against Stanford. Outside of a forfeit from Bakersfield, McGee has won in either a major decision or tech fall in ASU's last six duals. His seven tech falls lead the team and rank second nationally.
- McGee's 101 collegiate wins are second to only Anthony Valencia (114) on the Sun Devil roster.
- Kordell Norfleet leads the team in major decisions with five. Cohlton Schultz, Kyle Parco and McGee all have four majors. Schultz leads the team in falls with five.
- Parco and Schultz both earned a pair of major decisions last weekend between Stanford and Little Rock
- Gilbert, AZ native Mykey Ramos has taken over 141 for ASU. The freshman's 0-2 in his first two career duals but had nine-straight wins across 149 and 141 in open tournaments prior to getting the nod.
- Anthony Valencia (74 kg) earned a spot on the Mexico Senior World Team on Jan. 29 after running through the equivalent of their World Team Trials in Guadalajara, Mexico. Cohlton Schultz earned a spot on USA Wrestling's Greco-Roman Senior World Team on Sept. 12, 2021 after winning the 130 kg bracket in the Lincoln, Nebraska trials.
- Mizzou took down No. 10 Oklahoma State in a season-defining win last Sunday inside the Hearnes. Redshirt freshman Sean Harman grabbed the win of the afternoon, taking down No. 10 Dustin Plott in a 5-4 decision. For his efforts, he was named the Big 12 Wrestler of the Week. The Tigers were buoyed to a six-point lead behind back-to-back pins from Zach Elam and Noah Surtin. With the only requirement to not lose by fall, Trey Crawford secured the Tigers victory by holding off World Silver Medalist Daton Fix.
- Freshman Keegan O'Toole is FloWrestling's No. 3 ranked wrestler in its third rankings for the Dan Hodge Award for the nation's most outstanding wrestler. He also ranks No. 1 in the coaches' rankings at 165 pounds. O'Toole leads the Tigers' starting unit with 12 bonus-point wins this season, five of which were by fall. He also has six ranked victories.
- Sean Harman enters the weekend on a tear, following three consecutive ranked victories. Starting the season as the second string at 174 pounds, Harman shot onto the scene in the last two weeks, beating No. 13 Hayden Hastings, No. 32 Kekana Fouret and No. 10 Dustin Plott.
- Tigers' starters have recorded 50 bonus-point wins during a dual or attached tournament. Beginning at 165 pounds, the heavier weights have combined for 30 (60%) wins with O'Toole accounting for 25% overall.
- 12: O'Toole (165 pounds), 8: Jacques (157 pounds), 6: R. Elam (197 pounds), Kent (184 pounds), Surtin (125 pounds)
- 4: Mocco (174 pounds), Z. Elam (285 pounds), 3: Hart (141 pounds), Edmond (149 pounds)
- 2: Crawford (133 pounds), 1: Harman (174 pounds)
- The Tigers are 4-3 this season against ranked opponents. Missouri has wrestled three top-10 programs, going 1-2 with a win against No. 10 Oklahoma State (Feb. 6) and losses against No. 10 Virginia Tech (Dec. 4) and No. 5 North Carolina State (Dec. 20). The team is 3-1 against teams No. 11-25 with wins against No. 17 Northern Iowa (Dec. 4), No. 17 Lehigh (Dec. 21) and No. 20 Oklahoma (Jan. 20) and a loss against No. 23 South Dakota State (Jan. 22).
ASU Probable Lineup
125: #4 Brandon Courtney (17-1): '21 NCAA Runner Up, '20 NWCA All-American
133: #4 Michael McGee (17-2): 3x NCAA qualifier, Pac-12 '21 bronze
141: Mykey Ramos 4-2
149: #9 Kyle Parco (17-1): NCAA '21 All-American (6th)
157: #3 Jacori Teemer (15-0): NCAA '21 All-American (4th)
165: #7 Anthony Valencia (14-2): Valencia: 2x All-American, Mexican Senior National Team
174: Zane Coleman (8-9)
184: Josh Nummer (4-11)
197: #9 Kordell Norfleet (11-2): 3x Pac-12 Champion
HWT: #2 Cohlton Schultz(14-0): 4th at '21 NCAAs, USA Greco-Roman Senior Team
125: No. 13 Noah Surtin (16-4): '21 NCAA Qualifier
133/141: Trey Crawford (10-10) OR Connor Brown (3-5)
149: No. 21 Josh Edmond (13-5)
157: No. 22 Jarrett Jacques (15-8): 3x NCAA Qualifier, '19 MAC Champion
165: No. 1 Keegan O'Toole (15-0): '21 Junior World Champ, All-American, MAC Champion & Freshman of the Year
174: No. 9 Peyton Mocco (10-4) OR Sean Harman (19-7): 2x NCAA Qualifier
184: No. 16 Jeremiah Kent (13-6): '21 NCAA Qualifier
197: No. 5 Rocky Elam (13-3): '21 Jr World Champ, NCAA All-American, MAC Champion
285: No. 15 Zach Elam (10-3): 2x NCAA Qualifier
The Sun Devils host Lehigh Feb. 19 at noon in the regular season-finalé. That dual will also stream on Pac-12 Insider. Following Lehigh ASU will host the Pac-12 Championships March at Desert Financial Arena. Tickets for that are on sale now.
????2022 Pac-12 Wrestling Championships tickets are now on sale.????
— Sun Devil Wrestling (@ASUWrestling) February 9, 2022