USC Lacrosse Opens 2022 Campaign Against San Diego State
LOS ANGELES – USC (0-0) opens its 2022 campaign on McAlister Field with a head-to-head against SoCal rival San Diego State (0-0) on Saturday (Feb. 12). First draw is set for 1 p.m. PT with the Women of Troy seeking revenge for an overtime loss suffered to the Aztecs in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum last spring.
GAME #1 • Saturday, February 12 • 1 p.m. PT
USC (0-0) vs. San Diego State (0-0)
McAlister Field • Los Angeles, Calif.
SERIES HISTORY: USC leads, 10-1 (.909) • STREAK: Lost 1
LAST MEETING: L, 13-14 OT (Apr. 9, 2021 • LA Memorial Coliseum)
STREAM: USC Live Stream (Carlo Jimenez)
OPPONENT WEB: GoAztecs.com
- USC is 6-3 all-time in season openers and has won six consecutive openers since 2016.
- The Trojans are 52-13 all-time at McAlister Field.
- The Women of Troy are 5-4 all-time in home openers (including games at other fields and stadiums) and are 5-1 in home openers played at McAlister Field.
- USC's 10-game winning streak over San Diego State (2013-21) stands as the second-longest streak against a single opponent in program history. Only the Trojans' currently-active 12-game streak against California is longer.
- The Aztecs will compete in 2022 as an independent. USC and SDSU each competed as members of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation from 2013-17 before the Trojans joined the Pac-12's six-team league. The MPSF continued to sponsor women's lacrosse through the 2021 season and stopped following the dissolution of Fresno State's program.
- 10th-year head coach Lindsey Munday is 110-49 all-time (.692) and was the Pac-12's Coach of the Year in 2019.
Despite graduating a large class, the Trojans return a healthy portion of a lineup that includes the reigning Pac-12 Midfielder of the Year in graduate Kelsey Huff and last spring's Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Madison Waters. Huff is on the preseason Tewaaraton Award Watch List and begins the spring ranked fourth in program history for goals (118) and seventh for points (138).
USC also brings back ILWomen's pick for the preseason Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year Lizzy Wagner. Wagner will serve as one of the Trojans' three captains alongside Huff and senior attacker and draw specialist Katie Ramsay.
The USC defense is long in experience with the return of senior Kaleigh Brennan and juniors Olivia Dooley and Danielle Carson. A handful of underclassmen also return on attack as sophomores and juniors; most notably attacker Ella Heaney who had 31 goals and 11 assists in 2021. Senior attacker Finley Ueland is also back coming off a junior campaign where she had nine goals and 10 assists.
The Women of Troy will need to replace Izzy McMahon (52 points) and Maddie McDaniel (149 draw controls, 19 goals) on offense and Riley Hertford (39 ground balls) in goal.
Now in her 10th season at the helm, head coach Lindsey Munday has amassed 110 career victories with the Women of Troy and holds a .692 win percentage.