Huskies Sweep Portland State 7-0
SEATTLE, Wash.— The Washington men's tennis team beat Portland State 7-0 in the dual match. The Huskies (8-0) are still undefeated this season as they go into ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championships, next weekend. Washington men's tennis hasn't been 8-0 since 2003.
"We are going to rest up for the rest of the weekend and get ready for a great weekend ahead," said head coach Matt Anger. "It is a great opportunity for us and the community. This is the best in college tennis coming here. It is a great event."
To start, the Dawgs clinched the doubles point. At the number one spot, Jack Davis and Brandon Wong won 6-3. On court two, Clement Chidekh and Nedim Suko were able to pull off the 6-4 victory. Cesar Bouchelaghem and Ewen Lumsden had a dominant 6-1 win on court three to round out the doubles play.
In singles, it was a strong start for the Huskies. Bouchelaghem was the first done, winning 6-0, 6-0 on court five.
"He was really consistent," said Anger. "His concentration was good. That was a main thing for me in this match, not necessarily how we were playing but how we stayed on task."
Chidekh followed close behind, winning 6-3, 6-1 on court one. Davis got it done in the two spot with scores of 6-2, 6-2. Davis' win clinched the match win for the Huskies to keep them undefeated on the season.
On court six, Jack Pullium won 6-0, 6-3. Suko on court four came out strong with a 6-0 win in the first set. In set two he was able to finish it 6-2. To round out the dual match, Lin won 6-4, 6-2 in the three postion.
Next, the Huskies will host the ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championships starting on Friday, Feb. 18 running through the weekend at the Nordstrom Tennis Center and the Seattle Tennis Club.
Washington Men's Tennis
February 12, 2022
Nordstrom Tennis Center | Seattle, Wash.
Washington – 7
Portland State – 0
1. (#2) Clement Chidekh (UW) def. Nils Plutat (PSU) – 6-3, 6-1
2. Jack Davis (UW) def. Tommy Hsu (PSU) – 6-2, 6-2
3. Han-Chih Lin (UW) def. Oliver Richards (PSU) – 6-4, 6-2
4. Nedim Suko (UW) def. Sam De Vries (PSU) – 6-0, 6-2
5. Cesar Bouchelaghem (UW) def. Otto Holtari (PSU) – 6-0, 6-0
6. Jack Pulliam (UW) def. Andrew Vu (PSU) – 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 2, 6, 4, 3
1. Davis/Wong (UW) def. Hsu/ De Vries (PSU) – 6-3
2. Chidekh/ Suko (UW) def. Plutat/ Richards (PSU) – 6-4
3. Bouchelaghem/ Lumsden (UW) def. Holtari/ Vu (PSU) – 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2