Men’s Tennis Wins Ninth Match of the Season with Win Over Gonzaga
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah Men's Tennis team kicked off this weekend's matches Saturday morning against the Gonzaga Bulldogs at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center. The Utes secured their ninth doubles point of the season and went on to win three more singles matches for a final score of 4-1, continuing their season undefeated.
The Utes faced some tough Bulldog duos during doubles and had a tough start. However, the squad was able to recover and ultimately secure the doubles point. On court two, Bruno Caula and Francisco Bastias downed the Bulldog duo 6-3.
Soon after, teammates Franco Capalbo and Geronimo Espin Busleiman also defeated their opponents on court one, finishing 6-2 and awarding Utah with their first point of the match. On court three, Jayson Blando and Mathias Gavelin were close to a victory, with a score of 5-4, but their match was unfinished.
As the match moved to singles, Utah players faced tough matches with third sets and tiebreakers. The Utes' second point of the match came on court one as Capalbo downed Gonzaga's Sasha Trkulja 6-1, 6-2.
On court six, the Bulldogs secured their first point as Jayson Blando fell to Leon Roider 6-1, 6-3.
Utah's third point came on court three, where Espin Busleiman had a fantastic comeback after dropping his first set, defeating Gonzaga's Oliver Andersson 0-6, 6-1, 6-1. The match point came almost immediately after on court five when Gavelin also downed his opponent 6-4, 6-2 and clinched the match.
On court four, Caula was putting up a fight against Arthus Bassetiere and won the first set 7-6 (4) and trailed in set two, 2-3, but his match was unfinished. Similarly, Bastias was close to his victory on court two with a score of 6-2, 5-2 before the match was clinched.
UTAH 4, GONZAGA 1
- Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. SashaTrkulja (GU) 6-1, 6-2
- Francisco Bastias (UTAH) vs. Oliver Andersson (GU) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
- Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UTAH) def. Matthew Hollingworth (GU) 0-6, 6-1, 6-1
- Bruno Caula (UTAH) vs. Arthus Bassetiere (GU) 7-6 (7-4), 2-3, unfinished
- Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Tom Hann (GU) 6-4, 6-2
- Leon Roider (GU) def. Jayson Blando (UTAH) 6-1, 6-3
- Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UTAH) def. Sasha Trkulja/Matthew Hollingworth (GU) 6-2
- Francisco Bastias/Bruno Caula (UTAH) def. Oliver Andersson/Leon Roider (GU) 6-3
- Jayson Blando/Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) vs. Tom Hann/Arthus Bassetiere (GU) 5-4, unfinished
On Sunday, the Utes return to action when they face Boise State and Nevada at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center. Utah will face Boise State at 12 p.m. MT and close out the day against Nevada at 5 p.m. MT.
FOLLOW THE UTES!
Fans can follow along during the 2022 season on social media (Twitter: @UtahTennis | Instagram: @UtahTennis | Facebook: Facebook.com/Utahmenstennis).