Bears Look To Bounce Back Against Utes
BERKELEY – The California men's basketball team will aim to rebound from a Pac-12 loss on Thursday as it continues a three-game homestand against Utah at 3 p.m. PT Saturday in Haas Pavilion. The contest will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
Following a road sweep of the Oregon schools on Feb. 9-12, Cal came up short against Colorado, 70-62, at home Thursday. The Golden Bears (11-16, 4-12 Pac-12) led at halftime before the Buffs pulled ahead for good early in the second half. Utah (10-16, 3-13) arrives in Berkeley fresh off of its first road win of the season, having defeated Stanford 60-56 on Thursday.
All fans 3 and older must either show proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter the facility.
- Date & Time: Saturday, Feb. 19 | 3 p.m. PT
- Watch: Pac-12 Networks | Ted Robinson (PxP) & Don MacLean (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM (Tune-In App) | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Utah won 66-58 on Dec. 5 in the first meeting of the season between the two schools. Similar to Thursday's loss to Colorado, Cal held a 35-29 halftime advantage over Utah in Salt Lake City before the Runnin' Utes opened the second half with a 10-0 en route to the victory.
- The Bears are 9-7 at Haas Pavilion this season. All nine home wins came consecutively from Nov. 15-Jan. 2.
- In defeating the Beavers 63-61 on Feb. 9 and the Ducks 78-64 on Feb. 12, Cal earned its first road sweep of the Oregon schools since the 2013-14 season. It was also Cal's first road sweep of any kind since 2015-16.
- Jordan Shepherd scored a career-high 33 points on 9-15 shooting from the floor and 13-15 from the free throw line in the win at Oregon. The 33 points are the most scored by a Pac-12 player this season and the most by a Cal player since Don Coleman had 35 vs. Wichita State on Nov. 20, 2017. Shepherd has scored in double figures 21 times, including 18 of the past 21 games.
- Three of Cal's four Pac-12 victories this season have come by double-digits: 73-61 vs. Oregon State on Dec. 2; 74-50 vs. Arizona State on Jan. 2; 78-64 at Oregon on Feb. 12.
- Cal announced on Feb. 4 that senior forward Andre Kelly is expected to miss the remainder of the 2021-22 season with an ankle injury he suffered at USC on Jan. 29. Kelly averaged 13.4 points per game and 8.4 rebounds per game while ranking in the top-10 nationally in field-goal percentage (60.7%) and had played in every game of his college career (113 games) prior to the injury.
- Kuany Kuany had a career-high six blocks vs. Colorado on Thursday, falling one shy of tying the school record.
- Junior guard Joel Brown flirted with a triple-double in Cal's win at Oregon State on Feb. 9, recording nine points, a career-high nine rebounds, seven assists, three steals and just one turnover in 35 minutes played.
Cal faces rival Stanford at 5 p.m. PT on Saturday, Feb. 26 in Haas Pavilion. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
For further coverage of Cal men's basketball, follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).