Colorado Captures Third-Straight Victory
PORTLAND – Colorado women's tennis program finished off the sweep of the Portland schools Saturday, defeating the University of Portland 4-2 here for the Buffaloes' third-straight win.
Colorado (3-3) pulls to .500 as freshman Mila Stanojevic clinched her 13th-straight singles victory after Portland (2-3) took the doubles point to open the match.
After dropping the doubles point despite Betina Tokac and Ellen Puzak picking up their third doubles win in four matches, Colorado went on a singles winning spree to clinch the match. Maria Campos started things off with a win in the No.3 singles match over Neli Sunjic 6-2, 6-1. Portland reclaimed the lead momentarily after Iva Zelic defeated Caroline Pozo in the No.1 singles match 6-4, 6-2, but after that the Buffs were rolling.
Antonia Balzert picked up a crucial win to tie the match in the No.2 singles match with a pair of 6-4 sets against Sally Pethybridge. Stanojevic set up match point for Colorado taking the No.4 singles match with a quick pair of 6-1 sets against Marija Elenova. The fate of the match rested in senior Ky Ecton's hands again after Rimona Rouf took the first set against Tokac 7-5 in the No.5 singles match.
Ecton, who clinched the match for Colorado on Friday against Portland State, got the upper hand on Jana Tanevska in the No.6 singles match with a key 6-4 set victory. Ecton repeated the process to seal the win as Tokac was battling hard in the second set 6-6 when the dual was decided and the match was abandoned.
The Buffaloes ride their win streak back home to Boulder for four-straight home matches beginning against Iowa Sunday Feb. 27 at 10 a.m.
Colorado 4, Portland 2
1. Iva Zelic (POR) def. Caroline Pozo (COLO) 6-4, 6-2
2. Antonia Balzert (COLO) def. Sally Pethybridge (POR) 6-4, 6-4
3. Maria Campos (COLO) def. Neli Sunjic (POR) 6-2, 6-1
4. Mila Stanojevic (COLO) def. Marija Elenova (POR) 6-1, 6-1
5. Rimona Rouf (POR) vs. Betina Tokac (COLO) 7-5, 6-6, unfinished
6. Ky Ecton (COLO) def. Jana Tanevska (POR) 6-4, 6-4
1. Iva Zelic/Neli Sunjic (POR) def. Maria Campos/Caroline Pozo (COLO) 6-3
2. Sally Pethybridge/Rimona Rouf (POR) def. Antonia Balzert/Mila Stanojevic (COLO) 7-5
3. Betina Tokac/Ellen Puzak (COLO) def. Aleks Dimitrijevic/Angela Schuster (POR) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,1,2,4,6)