Cardinal Quells Gaels
STANFORD, Calif. – Stanford earned a victory over bay area rival Saint Mary's on Saturday by a score of 6-1. The Cardinal won all but one singles court on the way to the victory at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Stanford began by earning the doubles point to start the day, following victories by Tomas Kopczynski and Timothy Sah and Max Basing and Alexandre Rotsaert. Kopczynski and Sah won the set 6-4 on court one while their teammates Basing and Rotsaert took down Saint Mary's 6-2 on court two.
The Cardinal carried the momentum into the singles portion of the match, winning all but one court. Max Basing went undefeated on court two, finishing first with a quick 6-0, 6-0 bout. Rotsaert and Chaudhary weren't far behind, finishing second and third on the day with scores 6-2, 6-3 and 6-2, 6-1 respectively.
Kopczynski and Alex Lee both fought to a third set tiebreak with the former winning 10-3 and clinching his match. Lee was unable to complete the comeback, falling to Maxant in the tiebreak 10-7.
Stanford returns to action on Friday, March 4 in La Jolla, California for the Pacific Coast Doubles match.
No. 8 Stanford 6, Saint Mary's 1
1) Kopczynski/Sah (STAN) d. No. 3 Watt/Reckow (SMC), 6-4
2) Basing/Rotsaert (STAN) d. Potts/Divkovic (SMC), 6-2
3) Fery/Chaudhary (STAN) vs. Ramos/Jarry (SMC), 4-5 uf
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1) No. 94 Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) d. James Watt (SMC), 6-2 6-3
2) No. 83 Max Basing (STAN) d. Caelan Potts (SMC), 6-0, 6-0
3) Aryan Chaudhary (STAN) d. Karlo Divkovic (SMC), 6-2, 6-1
4) Timothy Sah (STAN) d. Diego Jarry (SMC), 6-2, 6-1
5) Tomas Kopczynski (STAN) d. Carlos Ramos (SMC), 6-2, 6-7(5), 10-3
6) Thibaud Maxant (SMC) d. Alex Lee (STAN) 7-5, 4-6, 10-7
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6