Morlet, Turkovic Upset Two Toreros in Sun Devils' 4-2 Win Over San Diego
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Five home matches, five Sun Devil wins.
The Sun Devils (6-2) continued their torrid stretch at home with a 4-2 win over San Diego on Saturday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center, as they were powered by upset wins by Giulia Morlet and Domenika Turkovic and Patricija Spaka's team-best seventh victory.
With the win, the Sun Devils remain perfect in Tempe in 2022 and have now started the season 6-2 through the first eight matches for the third consecutive season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Sun Devils (6-2) took the lead early against the Toreros (5-3), coming in hot to clinch the lone doubles point.
Patricija Spaka and Domenika Turkovic, the country's No. 49 ranked doubles duo, comfortably finished first on Court 1 with a 6-2 victory over USD's Colling & Goldsmith.
The Sun Devils were neck and neck against the Toreros on Court 2, but Sedona Gallagher & Giulia Morlet powered through to claim the victory, 6-4, over McBride & Desiatnikov.
Cali Jankowski & Natasha Hill fought hard during their doubles match on Court 3, trailing 5-6 when their match was abandoned after the Sun Devil win on Court 2.
The Sun Devils carried their success from doubles into the singles matches. Sophomore Giulia Morlet was terrific, overpowering No. 59 Solymar Colling with a clean sweep (6-0, 6-0). It's her second consecutive win over a ranked opponent, as she upset Kansas State's No. 68 Karine-Marion Job on February 20.
Domenika Turkovic swept her match against USD's Abigail Desiatnikov, the No. 95 ranked singles player in the nation, 7-5, 6-4. It marked Turkovic's fourth win in straight sets this spring.
After the doubles point and two upset wins by Morlet and Turkovic, which gave the Sun Devils a commanding lead, all eyes moved to Court 5 as freshman Patricija Spaka fought hard to close out the day. After dropping the first set against San Diego's Claudia De Las Heras, Spaka prevailed in the third and final set, clinching the a Sun Devil win with a 2-6, 7-5, 6-1 defeat. In her rookie season, Spaka now boasts a team-best seven wins in singles play.
1. Morlet,Giulia (ASU) def. Colling, Solymar (USD-W) 6-0, 6-0
2. Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) def. Desiatnikov, Abigail (USD-W) 7-5, 6-4
3. Sedona Gallagher (ASU) vs. Goldsmith, Elizabeth (USD-W) 6-4, 6-7, 0-0, unfinished
4. McBride, Jordyn (USD-W) def. Jankowski,Cali (ASU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Patricija Spaka (ASU) def. De Las Heras, C. (USD-W) 2-6, 7-5, 6-1
6. Kalaitzis, Victoria (USD-W) def. Hill,Natasha (ASU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Patricija Spaka/Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) def. Colling, Solymar/Goldsmith, Elizabeth (USD-W) 6-2
2. Sedona Gallagher/Morlet,Giulia (ASU) def. McBride, Jordyn/Desiatnikov, Abigail (USD-W) 6-4
3. Jankowski,Cali/Hill,Natasha (ASU) vs. Kalaitzis, Victoria/De Las Heras, C. (USD-W) 5-6, unfinished
The Sun Devils have an opportunity to extend their winning streak tomorrow afternoon when they host Kansas (5-3) at 12:00 P.M. MST. Fans can tune into the ASU Live Stream or follow along with live stats, as both will be made available to fans prior to the contest.