No. 12 USC Women's Tennis Falls to UC Santa Barbara 4-3 at Marks Stadium
The No. 12 USC Women's tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss to UC Santa Barbara on Saturday (Feb. 26) at Marks Tennis Stadium in Los Angeles, Calif.
With the loss, the Trojans fall to 6-5 on the season.
The Gauchos came out swinging as they swiftly picked up a pair of victories to claim the doubles point. On court two, UCSB's Honer/Reuter defeated USC's No. 19 ranked Salma Ewing/ Snow Han 6-1. Their second victory came from a 6-1 decision on court one as Khatamova/Volodko (UCSB) beat Eryn Cayetano/Grace Piper 6-1 to pick up the doubles point. Action was suspended on court three as Kiss/Gonzales (UCSB) led USC's Danielle Willson and Sloane Morra 4-3.
UCSB kept their momentum going into singles play as Amelia Honer def. USC's Sloane Morra 6-0, 6-4 on court four. With the Gauchos up by two, the Trojans would have to work to overcome the deficit.
Trojan Snow Han answered the call with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over UCSB's Elizaveta Volodko on court three to bring the score within one point.
USC's No. 103 Danielle Willson then fell on court six to UCSB's Kira Reuter in a 6-3, 6-3 decision.
On court two, senior No. 36 Salma Ewing stepped up to the plate, beating Camille Kiss (UCSB) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 in true fight on fashion.
USC was still in search of a point, but UCSB clinched the match on court five as Amelia Honer defeated USC's Grace Piper 6-2, 0-6, 7-6(6) on court five.
The match on court one was played out as USC's Eryn Cayetano fought to defeat Gaucho Shaknoza Khatamova in a gritty 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(6) win to make the score 4-3 favoring UCSB.
USC returns to action next weekend as they hit the road for matches against Utah (Mar. 4) and Colorado (Mar. 6).
UCSB 4, #12 USC 3
Feb. 26, 2022 | Marks Tennis Stadium – Los Angeles, Calif.
(1) S. Khatamova/E. Volodko (UCSB) def. Cayetano/Piper (USC)– 6-1
(2) A. Honer/K. Reuter (UCSB) def. #19 Ewing/Han (USC) – 6-1
(3) Willson/Morra (USC) vs. C. Kiss/M. Gonzales Ballbe (UCSB) – 3-4 SUSP.
Order of finish: 2,1
UCSB wins doubles point.
(1) #5 Eryn Cayetano (USC) def. Shakhnoza Khatamova (UCSB) – 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(6)
(2) #36 Salma Ewing (USC) def. Camille Kiss (UCSB) – 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
(3) #56 Snow Han (USC) def. Elizaveta Volodka (UCSB) – 6-4, 6-1
(4) Amelia Honer (UCSB) def. Sloane Morra (USC) – 6-0, 6-4
(5) Filippa Syversen (UCSB) def. Grace Piper (USC) – 6-2, 0-6, 7-6(6)*
(6) Kira Reuter (UCSB) def. #103 Danielle Willson (USC) – 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6, 2, 5*, 1