Cactus Classic Awaits Sand Devils
TEMPE, Ariz. – Sun Devil Beach Volleyball is staying in state for the second weekend in a row as they travel down south to participate in the Cactus Classic in Tucson on Friday and Saturday, facing four opponents over the two days.
How to Follow
Arizona State will play two duals each day, at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. MST both days. Friday will be against Colorado Mesa and Santa Clara, and Saturday ASU will face No. 9 Hawai'i and Boise State. There will be live scoring for fans to follow along, as well as updates on Twitter and Instagram (@SunDevilBeachVB).
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (0-2)
- The Sand Devils had a tough start to the 2022 season. ASU dropped the duals to Boise State and then-No. 9 Grand Canyon.
- Three pairs picked up wins. The No. 1 pair of fifth-year senior Cierra Flood and junior Lexi Sweeney beat Boise State's top pair. Sophomore Lila Bordis and junior Sarah Waters won at the threes, also against the Broncos. Sophomore Cambria Hall and senior Maddy Salazar were the lone duo to earn a point against GCU.
- Three made their collegiate debuts last weekend. Freshmen Rylie Kael and Anya Pemberton played at the No. 2 spot in both duals. Cambria Hall also made the lineup for the first time.
Colorado Mesa (2-2)
- After dropping the first two duals of the season, the Mavericks swept its next two opponents to get their record to 2-2.
- In 2021, CMU had a 5-13 record. The team ended on a tough note, losing the last three duals. The best wins came in a doubleheader against Utah where Colorado Mesa took both matchups.
- ASU and CMU met last season in the opener, with the Sun Devils winning in a sweep. Arizona State has a 4-0 all-time record against Colorado Mesa.
Santa Clara (2-2)
- The Broncos started the season with two wins before dropping the next two matchups. One of the wins was a 3-2 victory over Utah.
- Last season, Santa Clara had a shortened season. The team had a 5-7 record, with a rough stretch at the end, losing five in a row.
- This will be the first meeting between ASU and Santa Clara in program history.
No. 9 Hawai'i (2-3)
- The Rainbow Warriors hosted three teams to kick off the season, going 2-3 in those duals with one win over Stanford and one over Saint Mary's.
- A year ago, the team finished with a 17-10 record. The season came to an end at the Big West Championships, falling to Cal Poly.
- Arizona State is 0-7 against Hawai'i in the program's history. The teams last met in 2020.
Boise State (1-2)
- The Broncos had a solid start to the 2022 season, beating the Sun Devils and battling close with ranked opponents.
- In 2021, the Broncos went 6-11. Their best win of the season came against the Sun Devils when the squad was ranked No. 20 the first week of the season.
- Arizona State leads 5-4 in the all-time series against Boise State. The teams met last weekend with the Broncos winning the close 3-2 battle.