Bears Set For San Diego Classic
BERKELEY -- California softball is set to travel south for five games in three days against a tough field at the San Diego Classic this weekend. The Tournament is hosted by San Diego State, USD and UC San Diego with action taking place on all three campuses.
Cal opens with Boston University at 12 noon on Friday, March 4 at the SDSU Softball Stadium, followed by a 5 p.m. first pitch against the host Aztecs. Saturday starts at 1 p.m. vs BYU at the USD Softball Complex and finishes with a 3:30 p.m. tilt with host USD. The weekend closes at 12 noon on Sunday against UC San Diego at the Triton Softball Field. Cal's games with San Diego State and UC San Diego will be streamed.
- Teams: Cal (13-3) vs. Boston U (5-8), San Diego State (11-5), BYU (9-4) USD (7-10) and UCSD (7-8)
- Location: SDSU Softball Stadium/USD Softball Complex/Triton Field, San Diego, Calif.
- First pitch: Friday: 12 p.m. • 5 p.m. | Saturday: 1 p.m. • 3:30 p.m. | Sunday: 12 p.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW
- Boston U: Live Stats | Live Stream: N/A
- San Diego State: Live Stats | Live Stream: SDSU Live Stream
- BYU: Live Stats | Live Stream: N/A
- San Diego: Live Stats | Live Stream: N/A
- UC San Diego: Live Stats | Live Stream: ESPN+
- California is off to its best start since the 2018 season at 13-3 and is on a seven-game win streak.
- The Bears have hit at least one home run in 12 of 16 games so far this year and are 10-2 in games with a long ball.
- Cal's 20 home runs as a team is tied for the conference lead through the first three weeks of action.
- Through the opening three weeks of play, the Bears lead the Pac-12 in team batting average (.349) and RBI (97)
- Makena Smith leads the Pac-12 Conference with a .548 batting average through the first three weeks of the season.
- Smith has recorded a hit in 14 of Cal's 15 games this season and is tied for second in the conference with six home runs. She leads the Bears with 18 RBI in 15 games.
- Kacey Zobac is off to a sizzling start at the plate, holding a .485 batting average which is tied for second in the conference. Zobac has five multiple hit games and has at least one hit in 11 of 13 games played this year.
- Sona Halajian is swinging a hot bat to begin the season, tallying a .442 average, third-best on the squad. Halajian has four home runs and has also thrown two complete games in the circle on the way to a 7-0 record to start the year.
- Freshman Acacia Anders has quickly made her presence known in the Golden Bears' lineup, starting all 16 games in the infield while hitting in the two spot in the order. Anders is hitting .346 and has recorded at least one hit in 14 of 16 games. The Vacaville native smacked her first career home run on Feb. 20 against Minnesota and leads the conference with 20 runs scored.