Two Wins Highlight Day One Of Cactus Classic
TUCSON, Ariz. – Sun Devil Beach Volleyball started off the Cactus Classic with a pair of 4-1 wins over Colorado Mesa and Santa Clara on Friday at Bear Down Beach.
Arizona State improves to 2-2 after the victories. In both duals, three matches went to three sets. A handful of individual Sand Devils have three wins so far this season: the duo of sophomore Lila Bordis and junior Sarah Waters, the No. 1 pair of Cierra Flood and Lexi Sweeney, as well as senior Maddy Salazar.
Game One: Arizona State 4, Colorado Mesa
In the first dual, the threes and fives took care of business, winning their matches in straight sets. On court five, freshman Kylie Wickley made her collegiate debut in victorious fashion, pairing with Salazar. On the other three courts, ASU dropped the first sets and came back to win in three on courts one and four.
Results (Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2, 1*, 4)
- Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Spitzer/Johnson (CMU) 18-21, 21-10, 15-9
- Schmidt/Lachemann (CMU) def. Rylie Kael/Anya Pemberton (ASU) 13-21, 22-20, 15-8
- Lila Bordis/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Hall/Megenhardt (CMU) 21-19, 21-19
- Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Norwood/Hunt (CMU) 20-22, 21-19, 15-13
- Maddy Salazar/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. VanDeList/Ott (CMU) 21-18, 21-19
Game Two: Arizona State 4, Santa Clara 1
The second dual was a similar story with two courts winning in two (courts four and five), while the other three went to a third set. On the top court, it was a comeback effort as Flood and Sweeney dropped their first set and fought to win the next two.
Results (Order of Finish: 4, 5, 3*, 2, 1)
- Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Inman/Shaffer (SCU) 15-21, 21-18, 15-13
- Sangiacomo/Robison (SCU) def. Rylie Kael/Anya Pemberton (ASU) 21-17, 18-21, 15-5
- Lila Bordis/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Bennett/Tulino (SCU) 21-15, 19-21, 15-12
- Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Radeff/Doud (SCU) 21-9, 21-8
- Maddy Salazar/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Campbell/Epsteiin (SCU) 21-15, 24-22
The Cactus Classic concludes on Saturday with two more duals. ASU will face No. 9 Hawai'i at 10 a.m. MST before a rematch from the opening weekend with Boise State at 1 p.m. MST. There will be live scoring for both duals