Baseball Opens Pac-12 Play Friday At WSU
GAME 11: Oregon State (9-1, 0-0) vs. Washington State (7-5, 0-0)
March 11, 2022 • 3:05 p.m. PT • Pullman, Wash. • Bailey-Brayton Field
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (3-0, 1.65) vs. LHP McKabe Cottrell (1-2, 4.61)
Oregon State opens Pac-12 Conference play Friday when visiting Washington State in Pullman. First pitch at Bailey-Brayton Field is scheduled for 3:05 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will not be televised.
A live video stream, produced by Oregon State, will be available. Visit the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com for a link.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Jacob Melton and Brady Kasper each hit home runs but Oregon State dropped a 3-2 decision to UC Irvine in a 10-inning game Sunday afternoon at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. Melton homered in the seventh, followed by Kasper's first career long ball, in a pinch hit AB, in the eighth.
Versus The Cougars
• Oregon State and Washington State are squaring off in Pullman for the first time since 2018. The 2020 series at Bailey-Brayton Field was canceled due to Covid-19.
• OSU is 97-131-3 all-time in Pullman.
• The Beavers, however, have won three of the last four series in Pullman.
• OSU is 8-1-1 in its last 10 games overall versus the Cougars. The teams tied in the 2018 series finale, 7-7.
• Cooper Hjerpe, Friday's probable starter, struck out eight in four innings versus WSU last season. He scattered two hits and walked four.
• Hjerpe has a 3.26 ERA in his career in Pac-12 play, compared to a 4.69 mark in non-conference action.
• Justin Boyd is on a 14-game hit streak and is 21-for-55 (.382) with five doubles, one triple, one home run and 15 RBI during it.
• Jacob Melton has also hit safely in 12 straight and is 21-for-50 (.420) with three doubles, two triples, four home runs and 23 RBI during it.
• Boyd, Melton, Wade Meckler and Travis Bazzana have reached base safely in all 10 games this season. No other team in the Pac-12 can claim as many players on a current double-digit streak.
• Nine different Beavers have at least one hit streak of four or more games this season. Meckler and Garret Forrester join Boyd and Melton with current four-plus game hit streaks.
• OSU's pitching staff has six games of 10 or more strikeouts. The 2021 Beavers had seven through their first 10 games.
• OSU's relievers have retired their first batters faced in 25-of-37 opportunties (68 percent).
• The Beavers rank second in the Pac-12 with 13 stolen bases. Boyd ranks second individually with six.
• OSU entered the week with the nation's No. 4 fielding percentage at .991. Oregon State is also fourth with a .353 batting average.