No. 1 UCLA Weathers the Storm, Defeats No. 11 FAU, 3-0
GULF SHORES, Ala. -- No. 1 UCLA (10-0) remained undefeated on the year with a 3-0 win over No. 11 FAU (7-4) in the first dual of the March to May event at Gulf Beach Place. UCLA improved to 5-0 all-time against FAU. The dual was delayed for over four hours due to inclement weather and later lightning delays. So for today, the coaches agreed to call the dual as soon as a team reached three points.
The Bruins undefeated freshman duo of Sophie Moore and Natalie Myszkowski on court four put UCLA on the board first with a straight-set win over Ellie Austin and Mica Allison, 21-14, 21-17.
UCLA's senior Lea Monkhouse and sophomore Rileigh Powers put the Bruins up 2-0 on court two with a 21-17, 21-17 win over Marketa Svozilova and Julie Honzovicova.
Sophomore Lexy Denaburg and junior Abby Van Winkle sealed the Bruins 3-0 win on court one with a three-set thriller over Mack Morris and Erica Brok, 21-18, 20-22, 15-13.
Sophomore Devon Newberry and redshirt sophomore Jaden Whitmarsh had their match with Courtney Moon and Abby Jackson truncated on court three with the Bruin pair leading 21-16, 17-21, 11-8.
Graduate transfer Marlie Monserez and freshman Jessie Smith on court five also had their match truncated as they held a slight lead over Jilliene Cangelosi and Christine Jarman, 11-21, 21-15, 14-13.
The Bruins will take on No. 4 Florida State later today, time and weather permitting.
No. 1 UCLA def. No. 11 FAU, 3-0
Gulf Beach Place • Gulf Shores, Ala.
Friday, Mar. 18, 2022 • 2:00 PM PT
Records: UCLA (10-0), FAU (7-4)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Mack Morris/Erica Brok (FAU) 21-18, 20-22, 15-13
2. Lea Monkhouse/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) def. Marketa Svozilova/Julie Honzovicova (FAU) 21-17, 21-17
3. Devon Newberry/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) vs. Courtney Moon/Abby Jackson (FAU) 21-16, 17-21, 11-8, truncated
4. Sophie Moore/Natalie Myszkowski (UCLA) def. Ellie Austin/Mica Allison (FAU) 21-14, 21-17
5. Marlie Monserez/Jessie Smith (UCLA) vs. Jilliene Cangelosi/Christine Jarman 11-21, 21-15, 14-13, truncated
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1*