No. 13 Cal Blanks No. 32 Utah 7-0
BERKELEY – Thirteenth-ranked California women's tennis rolled to a 7-0 victory over No. 32 Utah on a sunny Friday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Complex. Katja Wiersholm clinched her second straight Cal win when she defeated Lindsay Hung at court-three singles. The Golden Bear also partnered with fellow freshman Jessica Alsola to clinch the doubles point.
Cal improved to 2-0 in the Pac-12 Conference and to 8-5 overall with the win. Utah is now 13-4 (2-3 Pac-12).
In doubles, Erin Richardson and Julia Rosenqvist got the Bears off to a great start when they beat Hung and Madeline Lamoreaux, 6-2, on court three. The 47th-ranked Alsola and Wiersholm then secured the point when they bested the 54th-ranked Emily Dush and Anastasia Goncharova, 6-0, on court one.
"They did great," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus said of Wiersholm and Alsola. "Hopefully we can get multiple teams into the NCAAs in doubles; that's always our goal. They are ranked, and to get another ranked win will just help our chances. We want to maximize opportunities when we have them."
The 103rd-ranked Haley Giavara quickly made Cal's lead 2-0 when she won in straight sets over the 97th-ranked Linda Huang, 6-3, 6-1, at court-one singles. Richardson, playing in singles in a dual match for the first time this season, followed with her first dual-match singles win of the year – a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Anya Lamoreaux on court six.
"Erin has been doing a great job," Augustus said. "I was excited to see her go out there and play her game and do what we think she's capable of. It's just going to motivate her to keep working hard and keep improving. That's all you can ask for as a coach."
The 107th-ranked Wiersholm then claimed her fourth clinching win of the season when she defeated Hung, 6-0, 6-1. The Bears won the remaining three matches, with Hannah Viller Moeller knocking off Madison Tattini, 7-6(5), 6-3, in the last contest of the day to make the final score 7-0.
"She finished things off well for the team," Augustus said of Viller Moeller.
Cal next hosts Colorado in another conference match at 11 a.m. on Sunday at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
No. 13 California (8-5, 2-0 pac-12) defeated No. 32 Utah (13-4, 2-3 Pac-12), 7-0
March 18, 2022, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. No. 47 Jessica Alsola/Katja Wiersholm (Cal) def. No. 54 Emily Dush/Anastasia Goncharova (Utah), 6-0*
2. Haley Giavara/Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) vs. Linda Huang/Madison Tattini (Utah), 3-3 (Unfinished)
3. Erin Richardson/Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Lindsay Hung/Madeline Lamoreaux (Utah), 6-2
Order of Finish – 3, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 103 Haley Giavara (Cal) def. No. 97 Linda Huang (Utah), 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 53 Jessica Alsola (Cal) def. Emily Dush (Utah), 6-3, 6-0
3. No. 107 Katja Wiersholm (Cal) def. Lindsay Hung (Utah), 6-0, 6-1^
4. Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Anastasia Goncharova (Utah), 5-7, 6-1, 1-0(5)
5. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Madison Tattini (Utah), 7-6(5), 6-3
6. Erin Richardson (Cal) def. Anya Lamoreaux (Utah), 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish – 1, 6, 3^, 2, 4, 5
^Clinched the overall match