No. 15 USC Lacrosse Beats Golden Bears in Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. – The 15th-ranked USC lacrosse team (6-1, 3-0 Pac-12) collected a 19-9 victory over California (0-8, 0-2) on FTX Field at California Memorial Stadium on Friday, March 18, to remain undefeated in league games.
- Gr. midfielder Kelsey Huff was as unstoppable as ever and powered the Trojan offense with six goals for her 29th-career hat trick. Huff upped her season total to 30 goals and added a ground ball and caused turnover.
- Redshirt Fr. attacker Isabelle Vitale matched her season high with four goals led all players with seven points (3 assists).
- Sr. midfielder Katie Ramsay reeled in a career-high nine draw controls and scored two goals.
- So. midfielder Madison Waters scored two goals and picked up a ground ball.
- Fr. midfielder Maddie Dora scored two goals and dished out one assist.
- In goal, Jr. Kait Devir had four saves to record her sixth win of the season.
- For Cal, eight different players scored, led by Kennedy Goss who had two goals and four draw controls. Maddie Lawliss had a goal and an assist and picked up three draw controls.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans out-shot the Bears, 29-17, and had a 16-13 edge in the center circle. USC played all available players and got all three goalies time between the pipes.
- Cal scored the first two goals of the game, but the Trojans responded with a 5-0 run with goals from Vitale, Dora, Huff, and Waters. The Bears scored one more, but Huff racked up her hat trick with goals at 49 and 10 seconds to give USC a solid 7-3 lead through one quarter of play.
- The Trojans scored seven more goals in the second frame to stretch their run to 9-0. Lawliss scored her goal from free position with under a minute to play in the first half, but USC went into the break with a 10-goal lead, 14-4.
- Huff scored her fifth and sixth goals from free position in the third quarter as part of a 4-0 USC run that had the Women of Troy on top, 18-5, heading into the fourth.
- Cal outscored the Trojans, 4-1, in the final frame to make the final score 19-9.
- USC heads to the South Bay to meet Stanford (4-4, 2-0 Pac-12) at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium in Stanford, Calif., on Sunday (March 20) at 2 p.m. The game will be shown live on Pac-12 Bay Area.
- USC improved to 13-1 all-time against California and has won 12 straight over the Golden Bears.
- The Trojans beat the Bears by a double-digit goal differential for the eighth time in the series' history. Of USC's six games against Cal played in Berkeley, the Trojans have won by an average margin of +8.83 goals per game.
- The Women of Troy improve to 12-4 all-time in games played in the Bay Area with a 6-0 mark in Berkeley.
- USC goes to 77-21 in games in which it is ranked.
- The Trojans start Pac-12 play with a 3-0 record for the third time (2018, '19)
For more information on the USC women's lacrosse team, a complete schedule, and results, please visit USCTrojans.com. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow the team on Instagram and on Twitter @USCTrojansLax.