No. 32 Cal Tops No. 56 Cal Poly For Seventh Straight Win
BERKELEY – The No. 32 California men's tennis team captured its seventh straight victory when the Golden Bears defeated No. 56 Cal Poly, 6-1, on Sunday at the Hellman Tennis Complex. Carl Emil Overbeck won at court-three singles to clinch the win.
Cal improved its record to 10-3. The Mustangs are now 9-4.
The day started with a win for the Bears in doubles. Cal's 17th-ranked pair of Overbeck and Yuta Kikuchi defeated Hendrik Inno and Joe Leather, 6-1, on court one. But the Mustangs won on court two and then on court three, with Cal Poly clinching the doubles point when Noah Berry and Fernando Fonseca beat the Bears' Alex Chang and Derrick Chen, 7-5.
The Bears rebounded in singles, starting on court four, with Sean Hill defeating Inno, 6-1, 6-1, to tie the match at 1-1. Chen faced Fonseca again and this time triumphed 6-2, 6-1 on court five to give Cal a 2-1 lead. Philip Hjorth won in straight sets on court two, beating Leather, 6-2, 6-3, and ending a streak of three straight three-set singles matches for the Cal senior.
Seconds after Hjorth's win, Overbeck beat Colter Smith, 6-3, 6-0, to clinch the win over the Mustangs at 4-1. The Bears got wins from Kikuchi on court one and Lucas Magnaudet on court six to round out the match.
"There are still some adjustments to be made in doubles," said Kris Kwinta, Cal's Peter Wright Director of Men's Tennis. "We're going to look at the tape, go back to the drawing board and improve.
"We came out with good energy in singles, after a good long talk yesterday. I was expecting the guys to be fired up and get some redemption. They didn't let up in second sets, which was cool to see. We were focused all throughout the match – there were no lapses. I'm happy with this performance."
Cal returns to Pac-12 Conference play when the Bears face No. 53 UCLA on Friday and No. 14 USC on Saturday in Los Angeles.
No. 32 California (10-3) defeated No. 56 Cal Poly (9-4), 6-1
March 20, 2022, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. No. 17 Yuta Kikuchi/Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal) def. Hendrik Inno/Joe Leather (Cal Poly), 6-1
2. Colter Smith/Bastiaan Westrate (Cal Poly) def. Sean Hill/Philip Hjorth (Cal), 6-4
3. Noah Berry/Fernando Fonseca (Cal Poly) def. Alex Chang/Derrick Chen (Cal), 7-5*
Order of Finish – 1, 2, 3*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 91 Yuta Kikuchi (Cal) def. Noah Berry (Cal Poly), 6-4, 6-3
2. Philip Hjorth (Cal) def. Joe Leather (Cal Poly), 6-2, 6-3
3. Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal) def. Colter Smith (Cal Poly), 6-3, 6-0^
4. Sean Hill (Cal) def. Hendrik Inno (Cal Poly), 6-1, 6-1
5. Derrick Chen (Cal) def. Fernando Fonseca (Cal Poly), 6-2, 6-1
6. Lucas Magnaudet (Cal) def. Gary Vardanyan (Cal Poly), 1-6, 6-3, 1-0(3)
Order of Finish – 4, 5, 2, 3^, 1, 6
^Clinched the overall match